Need help with a pool...

mlinden84
I got a pool on freecycle today. It's 12 feet around by 4 feet deep. It doesn't have a filter on it. Anyone have advice on how to keep it from getting gross? I know there are a bunch of pool chemicals, but I wasn't sure what I needed. Help me... Please?

andy65
go to your local pool store with a pic of what you have and the hookup for a filter on the pool and see what they say.

Martinismommy
We own and operate a pool service business out here in Phoenix.....I'm almost 100% certain there is now way you'll be able to maintain a pool that size without filtration no matter how many chemicals you drop in it...The water has to circulate....

Maybe you can look on Craigslist for a used pool filter...Good luck!

mlinden84
Thanks for the info! I haven't set it up yet so I am not sure if there is even a way to hook up filters to the side of it, unless I just have the tubes going over the edge of the pool. I just got done mowing and now I am cleaning all the toys out from where I am putting it (under the upstairs deck, figured it'd be better there so it wouldn't be getting direct sun... less algae and sunburns!) I'll get it set up and get back to you. How much can I get one of those pool filters for used? new?
Thanks again!!

mlinden84
Well I got the pool out and halfway blown up (with a basketball pump... lol its so sad!). Apparently the pool is only 72 inches around and 18 inches high. So a LOT smaller than I thought (but all in all that's ok, since it's for my daughter who is almost 4). Does this change anything?
I'll get a picture as soon as I get it all blown up... hopefully another few hours this evening and it'll be done! I think I should have bought an electric air pump!!!

Angela_96
Well I got the pool out and halfway blown up (with a basketball pump... lol its so sad!). Apparently the pool is only 72 inches around and 18 inches high. So a LOT smaller than I thought (but all in all that's ok, since it's for my daughter who is almost 4). Does this change anything?
I'll get a picture as soon as I get it all blown up... hopefully another few hours this evening and it'll be done! I think I should have bought an electric air pump!!!

I would try to find a filter for it, maybe on ebay? Also if its one of those "easy set" pools that's what we have and we learned a valuble lesson w/ it we have the giant one 18 x 48, its good size for something in the back yard. It also takes that pump to keep it clean, not to mention you need the vacuum w/ it.
We ended up taking it down after setting it up and leveling off the spot and putting a load of sand there then putting a tarp a little bigger than the pool under it to protect the pool. Those pools will not fill right unless you have the land under it just level, we thought it should be even living here in tn around the hills all of our land is flat as a flitter.......

My mother has a huge inground pool at her house, and her pool is a pain in the neck! we will never have an inground pool! I grew up w/ giant pools and that pain she calls a pool.... if you ask me she should turn it into a giant koi pond. (only issue it goes to 8 feet deep) I was forced to do the cleaning, water testing, etc on it (hey at least it preped me for fish!) Even when I take the boys over there I still vacuum it out and test the water quality and ad whatever chems it needs.

I prefer the walmart easyset pool! much easier to take care of! and just as much fun lol....

mlinden84
Mine is going to be going on the back patio, so it should be pretty level (as level as the patio is... not perfect but better than the yard!). I will look into getting one of those filters... maybe just running it when we aren't in it, since the tubes would have to go over the sides.
I told my mom that it would be a good present for my daughter for her birthday (in august)... a new bigger pool so we wouldnt have to worry about this one. That way by then they would have them on clearance in the stores...

I have to admit, it has crossed my mind that this would make a cool backyard fish pond!

Angela_96
Mine is going to be going on the back patio, so it should be pretty level (as level as the patio is... not perfect but better than the yard!). I will look into getting one of those filters... maybe just running it when we aren't in it, since the tubes would have to go over the sides.
I told my mom that it would be a good present for my daughter for her birthday (in august)... a new bigger pool so we wouldnt have to worry about this one. That way by then they would have them on clearance in the stores...

I have to admit, it has crossed my mind that this would make a cool backyard fish pond!

lol... the one we have was one my fil found on clearance they were 299 that year all summer then in august it was marked down to a hundred and something.. it was a great deal we have had it for 3 years, it was well worth it!
we only run the filter when no one is in the pool also even w/ it in the skimmer part.

mlinden84
Well I finally got smart and went out to my parents to get the wet/dry vac to blow up the pool. (used the "blow" part) MUCH easier than the tiny bike pump I was using

I am going to keep looking for a filter for it, but in the mean time if it gets too gross I'll just empty and refill it.

What, if any, chemicals should be added to the water with/without a filter?

Angela_96
Well I finally got smart and went out to my parents to get the wet/dry vac to blow up the pool. (used the "blow" part) MUCH easier than the tiny bike pump I was using

I am going to keep looking for a filter for it, but in the mean time if it gets too gross I'll just empty and refill it.

What, if any, chemicals should be added to the water with/without a filter?

you can put the liquid chlorine they have for kiddie pools honestly I like it better its less harsh on your skin, etc my mother uses that shock every time she adds chlorine and it kills your eyes, then on the other we use the powdered stuff, , when you all swim in it the chems will circulate.

mlinden84
you can put the liquid chlorine they have for kiddie pools honestly I like it better its less harsh on your skin, etc my mother uses that shock every time she adds chlorine and it kills your eyes, then on the other we use the powdered stuff, , when you all swim in it the chems will circulate.

Ok thank you. Can I just find that at like walmart? (I was there today and felt lost looking at all the pool chemicals!). Might be a dumb question but... what is the difference between that and chlorine bleach?

COBettaCouple
I have to say it.. I'm a sick, sick person.. are you sure it wouldn't make a nice tank?

andy65
You CAN use bleach but the thing is you have to find a bleach that just bleach and as little other stuff as you can, I can tell you now it's HARD to find that kind of bleach.
Plus, the stuff for pools are WAY stronger then the stuff for washing. I think the stuff for pools are like 47% chlorine as where bleach is only 6-7%.

Just get the liquid stuff that is like $7 something. The only thing with that is the sun will make the chlorine go bye bye. The UV rays of it breaks down the stuff so you will have to have some way of testing for it,walmart sells test kits for like $5-$6.

I hope all this helps

Angela_96
Ok thank you. Can I just find that at like walmart? (I was there today and felt lost looking at all the pool chemicals!). Might be a dumb question but... what is the difference between that and chlorine bleach?

using the bleach is hard on your skin, and the pool itself, you need the chorine made for the pools its much easier on your skin... (plus your bathing suits, etc)

mlinden84
I have to say it.. I'm a sick, sick person.. are you sure it wouldn't make a nice tank?

Yes you are a sick sick person and yes it would make a nice tank! Trust me I've thought about it more than once!!

mlinden84
Thanks for the tips on the bleach, I'll have to get some next time I'm in town. I finally finished filling it today. I put the garden hose for cold water, then used my python from the kitchen sink for hot water. That way it isn't freezing and my daughter will be able to use it today. Who knew that the python had so many uses?

Angela_96
Thanks for the tips on the bleach, I'll have to get some next time I'm in town. I finally finished filling it today. I put the garden hose for cold water, then used my python from the kitchen sink for hot water. That way it isn't freezing and my daughter will be able to use it today. Who knew that the python had so many uses?

lol... my son still jumped in the pool right after it was filled freezing cold (of coarse that was the week it was 100 degrees here)

mlinden84
lol... my son still jumped in the pool right after it was filled freezing cold (of coarse that was the week it was 100 degrees here)

I remember doing that when I was little. We had a huge cattle trough that we used for a swimming pool and we should be swimming in it as it was filling. LoL it must have been SO cold!

Angela_96
I remember doing that when I was little. We had a huge cattle trough that we used for a swimming pool and we should be swimming in it as it was filling. LoL it must have been SO cold!

its so funny how kids have no sense of cold when it comes to getting in water outside. I remember when mom and dad first set up the pool when I was little and every year I would jump in it as soon as it was full... never bothered me, now its 90 degrees out and I am shivering getting in the pool

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
YellowFish13
  • Question
  • RedLoredAmazon
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies