Need Help with a couple of Betta fin concerns

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The blue female has been in the 45g for 2 weeks without any issues. I did a large remodel of things and added in a piece of driftwood and a few new stones. I'm thinking she tore the fins on the wood (grape wood, spider wood) even though it seems like its all soft edges.
This morning she was fine, this evening she's lost a lot of finnage.

Red male has some light coloring on his gills/cheeks and I think I'm being paranoid but I'm concerned it's velvet or fungus or something.

They're both eating fine, she's snagging food I'm trying to get to other fish and the frog.
Energy levels are great, she's a jerk and he's curiously checking out his new tank.

The 45g does have other tank mates but none of them come near her, except perhaps the frog but she's so slow she never gets close to any of the fish.
She's also been searching the gravel level for bits of sunken food leftover from the frog and pleco. I'm worried she's catching on that..

Parameters in both tanks are about the same, the male is in a cycled 10 gallon (he was in a newly established 2.5g though) now.

PH: 7
Amm: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10g-3-5 45g-0

I'm particularly concerned about her because of how fast it occurred (in hours not days) and I won't be around for a few days so if I need to move her to a hospital tank or something it has to happen tomorrow... and she'll have to stay there for several days.

IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2180.jpeg

Baconatrix

Reaction score
If all bettas are separated it may be the decor, plastic plants, wood, etc. If they're together, betta-betta aggression. Tank mates get a bit nippy if they're not compatible or there's not a lot of hiding spots (I think I see an angelfish which could get mippy) maybe when you aren't close and their not distracted by the prospect of food?. Could you tell us more about the configuration of each tank and the tank mates?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the top pic it looks like tail biting. Weather the betta is doing it or other tank mates sorry I can't get that from a pic.
The red one I don't see anything wrong.

Fin rot will give the fins a black ooky look on the tips. Clear or white is new growth.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Baconatrix said:
If all bettas are separated it may be the decor, plastic plants, wood, etc. If they're together, betta-betta aggression. Tank mates get a bit nippy if they're not compatible or there's not a lot of hiding spots (I think I see an angelfish which could get mippy) maybe when you aren't close and their not distracted by the prospect of food?. Could you tell us more about the configuration of each tank and the tank mates?

All the Bettas are separated.

The main tank has loads of hiding spots (line of sight seems to help those Nut chases {my blue female betta}).

The angelfish has been in with a Betta for 5 weeks, and the Ram(s) for 4 weeks, hasn't gotten much bigger than when I got them - and so far hasn't gone after a single fish or invertebrate. But does swim away whenever they get too close (shrimp included).
IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg

The Betta will chase the remaining Ram, and I'm wondering if she didn't catch it on that driftwood (which is now gone as you can see).
She's also been scavenging for that shrimp pellet I lost in the gravel..

Baconatrix

Reaction score
Angel fish and of course, the rams, can get territorial, some peeps recommend min a 55gal set up for those mates. But tbh, if your set up works for you go for it. If you just changed the scape it could've been: 1. The fishies were trying to establish their territory in the new scape and got into a quarrel or 2. The betta ripped some of his fins by rushing by those rocks, they look sharp. I would suggest to watch out for any worsening in the tears. You might have to remove the sharps.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
david1978 said:
In the top pic it looks like tail biting. Weather the betta is doing it or other tank mates sorry I can't get that from a pic.
The red one I don't see anything wrong.

Fin rot will give the fins a black ooky look on the tips. Clear or white is new growth.
I've been watching them off/on all day and never see anyone get close enough to her tail feathers there, but I am concerned someone went after her. She's not acting bothered by anyone, or even herself, and none of the other fish are showing any similar signs which also makes me wonder.

Glad to know the red boy looks alright.

(I know I'm being a bit extra paranoid since I won't be around to figure this out)

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Baconatrix said:
Angel fish and of course, the rams, can get territorial, some peeps recommend min a 55gal set up for those mates. But tbh, if your set up works for you go for it. If you just changed the scape it could've been: 1. The fishies were trying to establish their territory in the new scape and got into a quarrel or 2. The betta ripped some of his fins by rushing by those rocks, they look sharp. I would suggest to watch out for any worsening in the tears. You might have to remove the sharps.
Yeah, I've been wary of the angelfish in there as they get older/bigger, but not seeing anything so far. The Ram (an EBR), has been mellow with the Bettas and did chase the female EBR around quite a bit, but nothing beyond normal pairing behavior (that I saw).
I've been considering taking the EBR back to the LFS as finding tank mates for him may not work as well as I'd hoped, and his buddy is gone..

I'm wondering if it was the Dragon Rock as well, but its not as sharp as the driftwood despite its looks. Then again the Betta fins are so delicate..

IMG_0158.jpeg

Typical tank shenanigans lately.

New Threads