Need help with 65 gallon tank

Mistacliff

I’m trying to figure out my cichlid tank setup and need help with what should go in it. Right now I have 1 blood parrot, 2 blue acara, 4 giant danios, and 1 bristle nose pleco. 65 gallon tank
I know that I want a green severum but other than that I’m open for suggestions. I was considering maybe a convict and some Bolivian rams.
I am concerned about tank size and the size of these cichlid fish. I know general rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon but with bigger fish I wasn’t sure if that would still apply.
Also I’m new to this site, I’m not sure how you look at someone’s aquarium details but if you can see mine I am open to any constructive criticism of my first tank setup. Overstocked?

AggressiveAquatics

I’m trying to figure out my cichlid tank setup and need help with what should go in it. Right now I have 1 blood parrot, 2 blue acara, 4 giant danios, and 1 bristle nose pleco. 65 gallon tank
I know that I want a green severum but other than that I’m open for suggestions. I was considering maybe a convict and some Bolivian rams.
I am concerned about tank size and the size of these cichlid fish. I know general rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon but with bigger fish I wasn’t sure if that would still apply.
Also I’m new to this site, I’m not sure how you look at someone’s aquarium details but if you can see mine I am open to any constructive criticism of my first tank setup. Overstocked?
No matter how big the fish is the one inch per gallon rule is really not good. What filter are you running and do your fish seem really aggressive? This will determine what type of fish can be added

Upvote 0

Tetratamer

I wouldn’t try to add much else. Otherwise you could get algae blooms by overstocking the tank

Upvote 0

fallfever

Welcome to cichlids, which completely negate the one inch rule with their size and aggression. The 65 gallon is a nice tank but it has a fairly small footprint which makes a severum or another large fish truly cramped. It's even pretty tight for danios who are at least four inches and swim frantically across the top of the tank and ideally have at least five to form a small school.
The acaras are large, active fish and the blood parrot will eventually get to be about the size of a softball. It's a good trio of fish to keep. You already have a pretty full stock and would need to overfilter (even two filters) to manage what you have along with fairly heavy weekly water changes. Could you add a convict or ram? Sure. But it will require some work keeping the water up. I think you'll be surprised how much space your fish will take up when they are grown up. Just a thought. You know how much time you're willing to give the tank more than I. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

No matter how big the fish is the one inch per gallon rule is really not good. What filter are you running and do your fish seem really aggressive? This will determine what type of fish can be added
I just have a hob filter that I believe said it was good for up to 75 gallons. The fish are new, so far don’t seem to be too aggressive.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Since they are new that’s the best time to add new fish before they establish territory. I’d say with the serverum you’ll be fully stocked

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

65 gallon
2 angelfish, 2 boesemani, 2 dwarf blue gourami, 5 platies, 5 corydoras, 3 mollies
No definitely not. Are your angelfish a pair? I would suggest even upping your boesmani to an actual school of at least 6-8.

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

Everyone is new
Also do I need to make sure I have a male and a female on the angels? I have no idea what I have.

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Everyone is new
Also do I need to make sure I have a male and a female on the angels? I have no idea what I have.
I'm not an angelfish expert, but I do have 2 (each one is in a different tank in a community setting). From what I know, if you don't have a pair, it is suggested to either have 1 alone, or to have a group of at least 5-6 to disperse the aggression, which you could do in your tank.

Upvote 0

MacZ

2 angelfish, 2 boesemani, 2 dwarf blue gourami, 5 platies, 5 corydoras, 3 mollies
Also sorry I forgot about the rainbow shark

I would stock up the Angels to 4, the boesemani to 6, the cories to 15 and remove the rest completely.

The livebearers need other water parameters than the rest, you might have to keep the water harder than all the other fish like. (Yes, they can live in higher hardness, but optimal it is not.)
Dwarf gourami tend to be aggressive but in this stocking will be literally dwarfed by the angels and the rainbows at some point and that will not end well for them.
Rainbow sharks should be kept in groups so aggression against tankmates gets reduced when they grow older and a group of six would have a tank that size for themselves. The older they get the more territorial. Nobody will be safe from it.

What store clerk sold you this stocking as ok? That person should look for another job.

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Just to supplement the great advice above, I know people who swear that 5-6 angelfish are necessary to keep the aggression well dispersed, as opposed to 4. But I haven't kept them in groups, so just some additional food for thought.

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

This is mostly my own doing. I just googled what fish can be tankmates with angelfish and they were all on the list.

Upvote 0

MacZ

There are many lists out there and many are based on... well... nothing.
They technically can be combined, but as you see many fish that can probably combined with one fish are also probably not good to combine among each other.

For Angels I would always recommend tetras and catfish from South America. A medium sized tetra like red-eyes or emperors, a school of Corydoras and maybe some Loricarids.

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

I have a 65 gallon tank with 1 blood parrot 4 giant danios. I am getting a green severum and a blue acara. The guy at the lfs suggested putting 3 silver dollars in to finish out the tank. Thoughts? Comments?

Upvote 0

St3v3

Yeah I have a silver dollar.There basically like a mix of pacu andlarge tetra.There really cool fish I'd recommend them
What exactly do you want to know about silver dollars

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

Just wondering if they would okay in my size of tank with the others. I’ve seen some conflicting information, some say at least a 6’ long tank, some say they have them in a 40 gallon.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Just wondering if they would okay in my size of tank with the others. I’ve seen some conflicting information, some say at least a 6’ long tank, some say they have them in a 40 gallon.
They like to be in groups hence the requirement for a larger tank. There are many out there that keep them singly or in pairs in smaller tanks though.

They arent safe with plants either, but cant speak from experience on that.

Upvote 0

jaysurf7

Silver dollars are awesome fish one of my favorites,I have a few in my 60 gal community tank they seem to get along fine with other fish,they can be quite skittish though somtimes. Very big eaters also.I think it would be a great addition to a tank that size.Another thing to know about silver dollars is there notorious plant eaters,I put a live plant in my tank a while back and in not even 5 min they where all eating it,since they prefer a veg diet.Overall a great fish to have in a community tank, another interesting fact is there also in the same family as the piranha fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RachaelPro
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Livebearer08
  • Question