Need Help, want new fish for a established 30gal.

notabetta

Hi, I just changed my substrate from Aquasoil to sand and gravel as the aquasoil started disintegrating and making the water cloudy and my filters muddy. Then I rescaped the whole aquarium (30"x15"x15").
I want to add more but right now I have
9 cherry Barbs
7 albino Cory cats
and loads of RCS

You must be registered to see images

The aquarium fills kinda empty as i took out loads of plant. I still have some in the background as I have a small zone of aquasoil which is covered by gravel for jungle val, and L repens. I also have java fern and Anubias. I have of couple of Frogbits floating around. I have a 2 peace lilies(one small and one medium) on on the top to help with the ammonia and the nitrates.
have a sponge filter and a HOB. So, I want to add something that occupies the upper part of the aquarium. as both Cherry Barb and Cories prefer to stay in the mid-bottom part.i also wanna add like 3 otos!
What fishes could I add and how many?

Tigerburp

Hi, I just changed my substrate from Aquasoil to sand and gravel as the aquasoil started disintegrating and making the water cloudy and my filters muddy. Then I rescaped the whole aquarium (30"x15"x15").
I want to add more but right now I have
9 cherry Barbs
7 albino Cory cats
and loads of RCS

You must be registered to see images

The aquarium fills kinda empty as i took out loads of plant. I still have some in the background as I have a small zone of aquasoil which is covered by gravel for jungle val, and L repens. I also have java fern and Anubias. I have of couple of Frogbits floating around. I have a 2 peace lilies(one small and one medium) on on the top to help with the ammonia and the nitrates.
have a sponge filter and a HOB. So, I want to add something that occupies the upper part of the aquarium. as both Cherry Barb and Cories prefer to stay in the mid-bottom part.i also wanna add like 3 otos!
What fishes could I add and how many?
Otos are great but be sure to access their health before buying them they are shipped extremely skinny ,I would add more cherry barbs it would give them more confidence to venture out

Bruinfishkeeper1

For a centerpiece I would recommend the Honey Gourami. The Honey Gourami is a nice and peaceful fish and should be kept as a single or a pair (male and female). In my experience they will enjoy the top but do still spend a lot of time in random corners. I would have suggested a Wild Betta pair like a Mahachai or Imbellis, but your cherry barbs may give them issues.

If not a centerpiece fish, you could always do Endlers or guppies as those things fly around the top of the tank and honestly look awesome. I would avoid long tail guppies, as your cherry barbs may be tempted to nip (however generally speaking cherry barbs are pretty chill especially when there is a good group of them). Platy's could also be a nice choice if your looking for a fish thats less flying around the tank type of thing (which specifically apply to endlers)

Instead of OTOS i would suggest Hillstream loaches, as they are very versatile and much easier (do fine in lower surface agitation and temps up to 78, nothing higher)

MacZ

For a centerpiece I would recommend the Honey Gourami. The Honey Gourami is a nice and peaceful fish and should be kept as a single or a pair (male and female). In my experience they will enjoy the top but do still spend a lot of time in random corners.
Agree, honeys might be a good choice, provided the plants grow in well, because they need a weedy setup with lots of plants, especially in the upper third.

I would have suggested a Wild Betta pair like a Mahachai or Imbellis, but your cherry barbs may give them issues.
Definitely need certain soft and acidic water conditions to really shine, also rather something for a jungle style tank.

If not a centerpiece fish, you could always do Endlers or guppies as those things fly around the top of the tank and honestly look awesome. I would avoid long tail guppies, as your cherry barbs may be tempted to nip (however generally speaking cherry barbs are pretty chill especially when there is a good group of them). Platy's could also be a nice choice if your looking for a fish thats less flying around the tank type of thing (which specifically apply to endlers)
Pretty boisterous fish, also need hard water, with the OP having more of a softwater collection of fish...
But question for the OP: What are your pH, GH and KH?

Instead of OTOS i would suggest Hillstream loaches, as they are very versatile and much easier (do fine in lower surface agitation and temps up to 78, nothing higher)
I find both unfitting for the tank. Otos for the usual reasons (food requirements and the usual drama with transport acclimation and high loss-rates), the loaches, because there are several species available and only few of them do well longterm in too warm, too slow moving water. The shrimp are also quite a competition for food for both, bringing the problem of targetfeeding and potential overfeeding and water quality... whole can of worms of problems and things to keep in mind with these two groups of fish.

notabetta

Agree, honeys might be a good choice, provided the plants grow in well, because they need a weedy setup with lots of plants, especially in the upper third.
I really wanted honey gourami too, but i just dont seem to get my hands on them. Im in Nepal, and none of the stores in my city have them and i couldnt find them online too.
Pretty boisterous fish, also need hard water, with the OP having more of a softwater collection of fish...
But question for the OP: What are your pH, GH and KH?
I have no idea, post lockdown, none of the fish stores have the hardness testing kit. I don't even have the test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites, the only test i found was the API freshwater master kit, and its price was hiked up to about 150 usd equivalent to my local currency. Im kinda going old school and using both sponge and HOB filters to be safe. I figured, as long as the shrimps are doing fine, tank is healthy.
I find both unfitting for the tank. Otos for the usual reasons (food requirements and the usual drama with transport acclimation and high loss-rates), the loaches, because there are several species available and only few of them do well longterm in too warm, too slow moving water. The shrimp are also quite a competition for food for both, bringing the problem of targetfeeding and potential overfeeding and water quality... whole can of worms of problems and things to keep in mind with these two groups of fish.
what if I skip otos and the loach and go for neon tetra? you kinda made be realize that i have a decent enough clean-up crew in the RCS and have corys to "clean" the substrate.
So if I wanted to how many neons could I add to my tank?
For a centerpiece I would recommend the Honey Gourami. The Honey Gourami is a nice and peaceful fish and should be kept as a single or a pair (male and female). In my experience they will enjoy the top but do still spend a lot of time in random corners. I would have suggested a Wild Betta pair like a Mahachai or Imbellis, but your cherry barbs may give them issues.
Im kinda scared of any bettas, just cuz of the shrimps. Honey gourami would be perfect but I simply cant find any in my city.
My sister-in-law scared me so much about the live bearers. she complained about the ever increasing population and it being hard to give away/just toss them out.

ProudPapa

. . . My sister-in-law scared me so much about the live bearers. she complained about the ever increasing population and it being hard to give away/just toss them out.
That's not a problem if you get all males.

MacZ

I really wanted honey gourami too, but i just dont seem to get my hands on them. Im in Nepal, and none of the stores in my city have them and i couldnt find them online too.
Ok, this is unfortunate. Especially as the fish come from relatively close to you.

I have no idea, post lockdown, none of the fish stores have the hardness testing kit. I don't even have the test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites, the only test i found was the API freshwater master kit, and its price was hiked up to about 150 usd equivalent to my local currency. Im kinda going old school and using both sponge and HOB filters to be safe. I figured, as long as the shrimps are doing fine, tank is healthy.
Yeah, you figured quite correct. I can imagine it's hard to get what most here think is conveniently easy available. Maybe you can leave a note at the store asking people to share the kit.

what if I skip otos and the loach and go for neon tetra? you kinda made be realize that i have a decent enough clean-up crew in the RCS and have corys to "clean" the substrate.
So if I wanted to how many neons could I add to my tank?
I'd probably stick to the barbs and just get more of them. You could stock them up to 15. Cories could also be stocked up to 10.

Im kinda scared of any bettas, just cuz of the shrimps. Honey gourami would be perfect but I simply cant find any in my city.
Most bettas leave adult shrimp alone. Hard enough to transport live fish at all in your country, I imagine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views
fishy1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
  • Question