**Need Help! Urgent!** Fancy Male Guppie dying :(

RandiAlayna16

Member
Hello,

I noticed 1 of my trio of fancy male guppies was MIA for dinner tonight so I started looking around the tank. It took me forever to find him. He's lost almost all his color,has lost a bunch of weight and was lying in the corner of the tank gasping (His name is Boss because he was the biggest and the strongest when we got him) . He can swim but no energy to swim more than a second. Any ideas what may be wrong? I removed him and put him in a small container to isolate. Both other guppies show no signs of problems.
Pic to come shortly

20200823_215055.jpg20200823_214920.jpg20200823_214953.jpg

anyone? please? :(
 

Mar1111

Member
RandiAlayna16 said:
Hello,

I noticed 1 of my trio of fancy male guppies was MIA for dinner tonight so I started looking around the tank. It took me forever to find him. He's lost almost all his color,has lost a bunch of weight and was lying in the corner of the tank gasping (His name is Boss because he was the biggest and the strongest when we got him) . He can swim but no energy to swim more than a second. Any ideas what may be wrong? I removed him and put him in a small container to isolate. Both other guppies show no signs of problems.
Pic to come shortly
I'm only writing because I have one in almost the same condition. He's been at the top gasping for air all day, then went to the bottom, pretty lethargic. Just now when I went to turn their light off, had to look for him, he was back on the top in a corner, straight up and down. I have NO idea what's wrong either. I don't think people really ever know. I saw white spots on him earlier when I was taking pictures, but to me they don't seem like ich. Just because I have no idea what to do, I put half strength API Ich medicine in the tank, hoping it doesn't affect my shrimp.

I think we have different problems, but sort of the same thing, we may both lose them by tomorrow. Breaks my heart, I just got 4 fancy guppies almost 6 weeks ago, one died a week later, now him and he's a beauty. I just hope for their sakes, if they're in pain, they don't suffer long.
 

Apoorvthegreat

Member
Mar1111 said:
I'm only writing because I have one in almost the same condition. He's been at the top gasping for air all day, then went to the bottom, pretty lethargic. Just now when I went to turn their light off, had to look for him, he was back on the top in a corner, straight up and down. I have NO idea what's wrong either. I don't think people really ever know. I saw white spots on him earlier when I was taking pictures, but to me they don't seem like ich. Just because I have no idea what to do, I put half strength API Ich medicine in the tank, hoping it doesn't affect my shrimp.

I think we have different problems, but sort of the same thing, we may both lose them by tomorrow. Breaks my heart, I just got 4 fancy guppies almost 6 weeks ago, one died a week later, now him and he's a beauty. I just hope for their sakes, if they're in pain, they don't suffer long.
His fins appear a bit ragged... are you sure he doesn't have fin rot? Also, is your tank cycled? He may also be well over two years old, so even a minor disease would weaken and potentially kill him.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandiAlayna16

Member
Im sorry to hear you also have a sick fishy. It's a shame to lose them. I, too, hope they aren't in much pain. I feel so bad...wish there was more I could do. I hate losing pets :(

Apoorvthegreat said:
His fins appear a bit ragged... are you sure he doesn't have fin rot? Also, is your tank cycled? He may also be well over two years old, so even a minor disease would weaken and potentially kill him.
From what i can see of him, his fins are intact. Just the nature of his flowing fin. I honestly havent had a problem with their tank in 6 months other than we had brown algae grow in it that i just recently got rid of. I read that brown algae or diatomes(I think thats what it was called.. or something like that) is a result of a tank not being completely cycled. Its been up and running for awhile. Id be really surprised if it wasn't, but stranger things have occurred in my fish keeping time. He was much larger than the other 2 male guppies we purchased with him so the chances he is older is highly likely. The other 2 are active, vibrant colored and healthy. I would think id see fin rot or color loss in them if it was more of a tank issue than a fish issue :( its hard to say. There's no obvious problem im observing to help him. I fear it may just be his time
 

Mar1111

Member
I'm dreading looking in the morning! I have a 10 gallon and it's newer, but was instantly cycled with a sponge filter from a larger tank. This week I lost a honey gourami in my 40 gallon and a 4 week old guppy in my 20 gallon, both for no obvious reason. I have 60 or more new guppy fry this week and wonder how many will survive. Also about 40 cory fry in another 10 gallon tank. Lots of water changes!

I know fish die, it's just hard watching it happen slowly... either way, it's usually a mystery.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandiAlayna16

Member
Mar1111 said:
I'm dreading looking in the morning! I have a 10 gallon and it's newer, but was instantly cycled with a sponge filter from a larger tank. This week I lost a honey gourami in my 40 gallon and a 4 week old guppy in my 20 gallon, both for no obvious reason. I have 60 or more new guppy fry this week and wonder how many will survive. Also about 40 cory fry in another 10 gallon tank. Lots of water changes!

I know fish die, it's just hard watching it happen slowly... either way, it's usually a mystery.
I feel the same... He seems to be getting worse. I put him back in the 5 gallon tank he calls home and treated with Seachem Paraguard. Just tested the water and I'm not getting any Ammonia readings or Nitrites so I don't think it's a cycling issue.. I'm at a loss. I noticed the tank was a lil' low from evaporation so I added some fresh tap water with seachem prime.. Short of giving him CPR, I'm not sure what else I can do for him. I fear to look in the AM as well :(
Im sorry to hear of your recent fishy losses. I hope your fry do well and you don't have to suffer many more losses to come.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandiAlayna16

Member
Well our lil guy is still with us... I put him back in the hospital tank this morning for a 1 hour dip in Paraguard. I noticed he has a white almost cottony like substance at the base of his dorsal fin (do fish have dorsal fins?... hmmm) regardless, i got an airstone pumping plenty of bubbles into about 3 inches of fresh dechlorinated water because the poor guy was suffocating in the tank. He cant swim up or down so he was just gasping at the bottom. His gasping has slowed down to just labored breathing now.. Not great but an improvement.. I mashed up some peas and soaked a few pellets to put in with him to try and get him to eat. Im not sure how long its been since hes had food but it took him some time to take interest in it. Unfortunately its the waiting game at this point. Cotton wool disease sounds like it may be the culprit but the water is all within healthy parameters, so im rlly not sure. Hes got some spunk in him so if its curable, the medicine should kick in and he'll improve.
Hurry up and wait (>.<)20200824_170331.jpg20200824_170438.jpg
 

Mar1111

Member
Mine was definitely in trouble when I went to bed, and passed by morning. I hope yours is fighting back. It sounds like a fungus to me.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandiAlayna16

Member
Mar1111 said:
Mine was definitely in trouble when I went to bed, and passed by morning. I hope yours is fighting back. It sounds like a fungus to me.
Aww, I'm so sorry... :(

Thank you for your input on our current situation. I've been racking my brain over different possibilities of what could be affecting him. Fungus is the only scenario that seemed to fit when I put all the factors together. If that's the case, the paraguard should be helping as long as his internals didn't take too much damage already. My lil' guy is definitely a fighter.. (I've been lucky in that aspect of fish keeping. We have a pretty lucky Comet Goldfish we've been through heck and back with too) He's taking another Paraguard dip as I type. He seems less lethargic, but he's still not swimming around. He just wiggles across the bottom if I approach his bowl :( Maybe I caught it before it was too late and he's just taking the time to heal. Only time will tell at this point..
 
Top Bottom