Need help understanding API Liquid Test Results 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by FLGirl, Mar 22, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirl Well Known Member Member

About the API test kit I don't fully understand because some of the results do not match the colors. Can anyone explain it? Iv done more than one on all the tests.

PH - Pretty much matches 7.6
    High Range PH - Doesn't match any of the colors because its yellow
    Ammonia - Pretty much matches on this one. (was 0 and then looked not quite as yellow but not as green as 0.25)
    Nitrite - Doesn't match any of the colors it is definitely not 0 or any of the other colors either. It makes .25 and all the others look VERY purple doesn't match at all as it is a light clear different color blue but it isn't the 0 color either
    Nitrate - Its 40 or 80 I think because the colors are so close it's hard to tell but it's closer to them the the other oranges.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

can you post the lot numbers on your bottles?

ammonia should always be yellow( have someone else in the house look at it or put it against a white piece of paper...im color blind with this one so i have to ask for help lol )

nitrites always blue and if you have nitrites that are small, you can have a hazy purplish/blue....

and nitrate is really hard to tell between the 40-80 but either needs a water change....

3. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks! :;thx

Lot numbers on my bottles, All of them? Here are 3 let me know if you need all of them 25A1109, 84A0110, 17A1009

What about my PH's?

ammonia its yellow but on one test it looked yellow with a slight tinge of green (not as much as 0.25 looks though)

nitrites It didn't match any of the colors I don't know if Id call it purple/blue because next to my card it looks blue while the papers colors look more purpalish. It wasn't that first teal-blue color though...it wasn't dark either

Nitrates, well I found out when I tested my tap water that it tested exactly the same high level 40 (or 80) nitrates. sooo thats why my water was so high after less than a day. :eek:

4. Shawnie

test kit is good! so thats outta the way....probably just have others look at it or put it on a white piece of paper.thats what I do as its just easier ....how longs the tank been running? and whats in there?

5. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I hate testing. It's always a guessing game. lol

Try to have other people read the results to get a better reading and also make sure you wait the required time for each test too.

6. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Good I was hoping you wouldn't say I picked the expired kit in the store. lol Yeah, I have been using a stop watch to make sure I get the time right. (i was hoping I did the Nitrate one wrong the first time) I always have put the test tube on the white part inbetween the colors to better pick the color...How do you mean a white piece of paper? It's the same first tank Iv been having some kind of a time with. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...3-my-fish-stressed-danger-zebra-danios-2.html

It has 4 Zebra Danios in it and Iv been changing the water everyday and adding prime. Its about a month it's been running. I tested my water straight from the tap and it read the same as my tank water right before I was going to do the daily water change. nitrates that is ( I used 2 different tubes and did the test next to each other. They were the same orange. :(

I understand that its suppose to be so much more accurate but if the results can not be understood (no matching color) then it's not helping me anymore than strips

I also can't tell if my tank has even tried to cycle yet because 1) I found out my tap water nitrates are high according to the test and 2) I can't figure my test results lol

7. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

So, what do the first 3 characters mean? Figured out the last four, month and year.

8. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Ok so another question (when I had someone else look at it they said 10 ppm) but how do you compare to the colors (like hold straight up and press against white, lay it flat down? Like I think they laid it down flat which Is why they choose the lighter 10ppm Any help?

9. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Hold it straight up in your face and look at it.

10. Shawnie

manufacture's codes

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Be sure to mix your test bottles really well. Especially the nitrate bottles. Shake them up, beat them on the counter or in the palm of your hand. Sometimes the liquids can form crystals on the inside bottom of the bottle. You may see a difference or you may not.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice