Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Help Understand Master Test Readings. Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bettafishgal, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

Ph:6.8
    Ammonia(NH3/NH4):0.25-0.50
    Nirite(NO2-): 0
    Nirate(NO3-)0
    She's currently in a half circle tank (she will get getting a 5 gal in the shape of a box) and the temp in my room is always above 70 (now that it's warm)

Is this a bad reading?

2. abarb Well Known Member Member

That means your tank isn’t cycled. Add prime if you have it to neutralize ammonia. Your tank should have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0-20 nitrate (0 if heavily planted or anaerobic bacteria, most tanks have >0 nitrate). Is this a betta? They should have at least 78 degree f water

3. FishFandom Valued Member Member

Your tank isn't cycled, which is why there is ammonia. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle. How long have you had your betta? Also, bettas should be kept at least in 78 degrees fahrenheit temperature water.

4. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

I added my filiter in today (before i started test) Where can I can buy prime?

5. abarb Well Known Member Member

On amazon. You can click the link to prime on this message. Or a fish/pet store

6. FishFandom Valued Member Member

You can buy prime in stores such as PetSmart or PetCo, or your local fish store.

7. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

I've had her for about 6 months now (im buying her a filtiered 5 gal) I have just put her filter in.

Im sorry im alittle confused, What do you mean >0 nitrate? Do you mean it goes into negitives???

8. FishFandom Valued Member Member

You will need to do some water changes about every other day to keep from the levels rising and killing your fish. You will have to do so until your tank is cycled.

9. abarb Well Known Member Member

Greater than 0. >0 means more than 0

10. FishFandom Valued Member Member

Yeah it's usually around 5-10 ppm

11. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

I do water change's for her every three days? I geuss thats to small?

12. abarb Well Known Member Member

What percent water change?

13. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

If you have already had her for 6 months you must be doing something right. :)

When you get her bigger home just move her and everything in the tank she in in right now over to the bigger tank. Continue testing the water and if you get an ammonia reading do a water change to get it down as low as possible. Please don't get hung up on completing the cycle. The tank will eventually cycle but that isn't the most important thing. The health of your fish is.

Prime is a water conditioner so once you get it you can replace the one you are using right now with it. I always recommend Prime because it not only removes chlorine/chloramines and heavy metals but also detoxes low amounts of ammonia.

You really do need to get your little girl a heater for her new tank. Keeping Bettas in water that is too cold can cause illness. You need to keep the temp up about 79 to 80 degrees. A young lady in Indonesia learned this lesson the hard way and her beautiful little guy is fighting off ick right now. We can't swear that the low temp caused the ick to attack so quickly but we can't rule it out either. Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  14. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

50% or more

Thank you so much! This is very great stuff for me to know :) Anywho when i moved into the five gal for her i was planning on getting a heater XD But im glad I know more about why i need heaters! Thank you again! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2019