Need Help, Too Many Guppies Help

1. Guppy Horses Member Member

Hi guys,

I currently have two tanks that have many guppies in them. I need to do something about it. Many people have suggested giving them to LFS, but I love my guppies and want to give them to people who have some experience with fish and will give them good homes.

If anyone lives near the East Coast in the US and would like some guppies, let me know. I have male and female guppies pretty much any age from fry to adult. Also it would be my first time shipping fish so also let me know if you have any tips on shipping them or what else to do with my guppies.

Also if I'm giving them away they'll be free.

Thank you so much if you can help

2. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Some LFS's will take them from you and give you store credit if they are already adults. I would call around and see who will give you the most credit. Then you can use it to get them some food or something.

3. Guppy Horses Member Member

Thank you. If I can't find anyone else to give them too that, would be my last resort.

4. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

If you choose an actual aquarium store instead of someplace like petsmart and petco you can be pretty sure they will get a good home. Most people who don't want to take care of a tank and don't know about cycling and things aren't going to purchase from an aquarium store because it's more expensive than a petstore and most people who frequent the aquarium store really care about their tanks. I know petsmart has albino plecos for example but I don't want to get fish from tanks where the water goes into every tank before being filtered which carries ich and other parasites to EVERY tank so I skip the fish section there and instead of getting an albino for 4.99 I went to the aquarium store and paid 34.95 each for three lemon BN plecos. I know it's a LOT more but I also know how they keep their tanks and know I won't be bringing home sick fish so it's worth it to me to pay more now to save on meds for sick fish later. I got my guppies at the aquarium store as well because I knew they were quality and healthy and he purchases his from a local breeder. Great stock. I am enjoying them and that person can rest assured that the two I picked up are being well taken care of! I will be taking some of my females babies in for credit as well.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've had some luck rehoming a few really vicious Gambusia on Freecycle (at the time, I thought they were female guppies). Other methods of population control: starving one day a week to get them to eat more fry, introducing a larger fish as a fry eater (such as a male swordfish), scooping out fry and euthanizing them (I know someone who uses the toilet, others use clove oil).

6. ChiefBrody Member Member

Euthanasia seriously? They're free food at the very least

7. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, instead of euthanizing I would turn them in for even minimal credit to help offset the cost of fish food. No reason to kill them all off when you can make some money instead.

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Try posting in the BSTF section. What state do you live in?

9. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I used to give unwanted fry to my uncle, he had a pair of convicts that he bred. Great deal for both of us. He got live food, I got rid of unwanted fry.

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Pick your weather wisely at both ends of the trip and they ship easy. I know you are giving them away but only the nicest mutt guppies are worth cost of Priority USPS shipping. Don't mean to be offensive but that's just reality.

11. ChiefBrody Member Member

F'real man I think it's time to get an Oscar

12. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm checking to see about location for that reason alone. I live in the East Coast. I guess USPS shipping would be worth it if you got a very large number.

13. Guppy Horses Member Member

What section is that?

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

That is the Buy/Sell/Trade/Free forum. All participating parties must have a minimum of 50 posts to participate.

15. Guppy Horses Member Member

Ok thank you

I have a 20 gallon tank, would that be big enough for an oscar? Also maybe I could get another fish like some mollies.

16. ChiefBrody Member Member

I mean something to eat guppy fry really. So I think a juvenile Oscar in a 20 for a while might work but really there's all kinds of smaller fish that would work. Honestly my northern purple spot gudgeon is a veritable garbage disposal and shouldn't get quite as big as an Oscar. It's really fulfilling to bond with the animals this way. I love all my fish but as you go up the food chain it's undeniable how much more the larger predators are engaged in my relationship with them. It's amazing. And it's natural. Guppies you bred aren't gross feeders from a pet store. They're organic farm stand vegetables not a big mac

17. Manjit Member Member

guys get some heart... how can you think of killing a fish just because you dont want it...
    reading this makes me feel sad.....
    just give it away to lfs for free....

18. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

A full grown Oscar needs 75 gallons.

19. ChiefBrody Member Member

No doubt. But an African frog doesn't and will chow guppies all day and provide companionship/entertainment/whatever for they guppy caretaker. It's really up to the fishkeeper. So many hungry mouths to feed and you have a never-ending supply of high quality food. It's dignified for the guppy to be a part of the big picture. They're integral. They're mighty. Like terriers are mighty. I'm sure you've wanted some kinda"oddball" - I mean look at how we label theses glorious creatures - but seriously a bichir or an axolotl or a snakehead or even a turtle idunno... they'd love to eat guppies instead of wafers n whatever they put in them. I mean I keep a little dry food around but for the most part they eat what I eat it's just sensible. I mean do what you want but too many guppies is my wet dream

20. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Better to die than end up with a neglectful hobbyist.