Need Help To Insure My Fishes Health

1. A

Ashtin New Member Member

I've had my male veil tail for 5 days. His fins have recently been torn in different places. And I removed the plastic plant. And now he makes quick jerky motions when he swims. And he stays flared out. He still eats. And navigates different depths of his tank which is 3 gallons. He's also being treated to help regrow his fins and keep him from getting an infection.

2. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

Hi, is your tank filtered and heated? To make sure he's healthy, clean water is the best medicine, and will help fin regrowth, rather than fish medication.

Is he "glass surfing"? I think that is common behaviour for a betta.

It's a good sign he's eating.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ashtin New Member Member

Also he will go to the top of his tank, grab a bubble, and swim down to the gravel and sit for a second and swim around again

4. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

The best advice I can give you is either switch to a silk or live plant, don't keep his tank bare for a long period of time as this can stress him out, bettas love areas to hide. To ensure his fins heal Id do 50% water changes at least 2-3 times per week. Quick and sudden movements can really be caused by a host of things. What are his tank parameters? Does the aquarium have a filter and heater?

5. OP
    OP
    A

Ashtin New Member Member

The tank is filtered. It's not heated but I check the temp constantly and it stays at 78 degrees Fahrenheit

I'm getting a silk plant in on Monday for him. It's filtered. Not heated but I check the temp constantly and keep it at 78 Fahrenheit. It's a theee gallon tank with a tube in the middle that encloses a bubble stone

6. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

Unless you live in an area where it stays tropical year round or can without a doubt guarantee that your home will stay between 78-82 degrees at all times you will need to invest in a heater

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ashtin New Member Member

I live in Mississippi so it's hot and humid year round. And I keep my vent turned off at all times and turn my ceiling fan off during the day. So it stays hot. But I check the temp at least 2-3 times a day. And it stays pretty regular

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Is your tank cycled? This is more important at the moment than the heater. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

I would do a 50% water change right away. See if his swimming improves.