Need Help To Identify & Treat Disease Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by DebinOz, Jul 28, 2019.

1. DebinOz

DebinOzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a 100cm community tank. I recently lost a cherry barb to some kind of disease, involving a white growth at the base of its dorsal fin. I thought it could be fungus so treated the tank for a week with Pimafix. I am now finding two more cherry barbs flashing, along with a young clown loach. There are no other signs of disease. The tank is established and has parameters Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 2o and pH 6.6. I was concerned the pH may be getting too acidic so I added some neutral regulator today. I am worried about the flashing... it has been going on for the last week, since before I added the pimafix.

Any ideas or advice?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    A photo of your fish may help identify what's going on otherwise everyone is guessing and working blind, close ups if possible

3. OP
    OP
    DebinOz

DebinOzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Above is the only photo I have of the fish that died. It’s not the best so I didn’t originally post it. The fish that are flashing still have no observable marks or other symptoms. Below here is a male fish that has started to twitch today. I also have Congo tetra, dwarf gourami, a clown loach and bristlenose in there.

4. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    For some reason we are locked out of seeing your photos

5. OP
    OP
    DebinOz

DebinOzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    That’s weird. I am not sure why. how about this one?

6. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Getting message off fishlore that says You do not have permission to view this page

7. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Same here:

Aquarium Fish Forum - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

8. OP
    OP
    DebinOz

DebinOzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi. I am still having problems that I can't identify, and it has spread now to all tanks, even the fry tank. Fish are flashing. No other symptoms except my guppy is now bottom sitting and one cherry barb is periodically swimming vertically in place. I am getting very upset as I don't want a mass extinction!

9. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    We still can't see the photos. There's an issue with the formatting. Could you try once more, maybe a different way?

10. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Maybe you should sterilize all your equipment you use to prevent cross-contamination? And do so after each time you put something in a tank, at least until this is figured out.
    Pimafix is a natural-based product, primarily Bay oil. Honestly, I'm not surprised it didn't do anything. You can try General Cure, Jungle Fungal Clear, Paraguard... Personally I'd start with Paraguard, as it's an antifungal, anti-bacterial, anti-virus, according to Seachem. I've used it in aquariums with snails and plants and filter with no problems. General Cure is something I've also used when I didn't know what was wrong with my fish but suspected gill flukes because of flashing and other behaviors but no visual evidence of anything wrong and it worked in my case. That's also filter, snail, plant, and (in my experience) fry safe.
    The Fungal Clear would be my last choice since it seems pretty strong, has chemicals that can cause cancer, and can dye certain surfaces.
    Of course, there's a lot of other options as well.

11. OP
    OP
    DebinOz

DebinOzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks, I will try and find some Paraguard. Sounds like a good option