Need help to identify snails

1. F

FishieNewbie Valued Member Member

Hi guys,

I just got an elephant eared betta and read online that it should be housed in min 5 gal so just got the Fluval Spec V and the pet shop said snails can be a suitable tank mate & suggested I get 2. Was told it won't grow very big so fine for 5gal tank with my betta.

I've been googling before putting the snails in (quarantined separately now, just got them last night). Can anyone help identify what type of snails these are? Could it be nerite as I think it's the closest to images I found online but not exactly the same I think.

Just want to make sure they are not self-reproductive kind of snails that my my tank would not be able to fit!

This is my 1st time on this forum, I've been trying to search how to post or attach photos but couldn't find it. Please help, anyone?

Thanks much!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    F

Hi guys,

I posted as a reply earlier to an existing post but couldn't attach photos. Have downloaded the app rather than browsing on mobile but can't seem to find my reply earlier to edit and attach photos so here's a topic instead!

I just got an elephant eared betta and read online that it should be housed in min 5 gal so just got the Fluval Spec V and the pet shop said snails can be a suitable tank mate & suggested I get 2. Was told it won't grow very big so fine for 5gal tank with my betta.

I've been googling before putting the snails in (quarantined separately now, just got them last night). Can anyone help identify what type of snails these are? Could it be nerite as I think it's the closest to images I found online but not exactly the same I think. Please help.

Just want to make sure they are not he self-reproductive kind of snails that my my tank would not be able to fit!

Thanks much ^_^

1467132376674.jpg

Thank you, just created a post with pix. Hope to hear from some of you :)

4. beavlee123

beavlee123 Valued Member Member

Those are nerite snails. They may or may not lay eggs. But they can only successfully breed in brackish water. I've heard of rare hatching in fresh water tanks. But the babies won't survive in those conditions. You shouldn't have to worry.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged

6. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you for your response. Appreciate it. That's a relief to know they won't be breeding and I'm looking forward to introduce the pair into my main tank. Btw, what sub-type would my nerites be? Is it tiger or any other?
    Thank you, Coradee. It's been a good experience with the help for this newbie!

7. xxbyamomentx

xxbyamomentx Valued Member Member

The one shell I can see looks like maybe a zig zag? I could definitely be wrong, can't really tell without seeing more of the shells.

The main nerite types I've seen around stores are olive (dark green), horned (colors vary, but the shells have spikes), zebra (yellow and black stripes), or tiger (orange, red, or yellow with lines of dots). I've seen -and own one- of what some places call tracked nerites, but I'm not sure if that's a separate type or just a variation of tiger nerite. Their spot patterns are closer together to where it looks like they've got a little bicycle tire track for a stripe. :p

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I am not sure what type of Nerites. On closer inspection there seem to be too many dots for a tiger net rite. Bithimala or TexasDomer may be able to help.

Welcome to the forum! Good for you for researching before you add something to your tank!

9. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

I vote the one with the shell we can barely see is olive (but can barely see the shell).

I think the other is called tracked, but not positive. Yes, the nerites should be fine with the betta, unless he's horribly aggressive. I think it's about a 99% chance of that pairing working out :)

Welcome to the forum!

10. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks! Is there a zigzag nerite? I took a clear shot to share and you can see that there's a part of its shell that's chipped. Should I be worried? Anything to help improve? 1467216849082.jpg

Thank you @Mom2some appreciate it!

Thanks @Bithimala the smaller one is a much darker version. If you zoom in, there is the same pattern at the base but looks much darker. Tried to take clear shots but a challenge! This is the best I could get. Is it my imagination or the dark colour seems to be like a coating over the slider zigzaggy or tracked pattern of the bigger one?

It was my 1st time getting snails and I just picked the ones that were actively on the side of the glass at the pet shop aquarium. I didn't even check their shells :( Both are moving about to the side of the glass to the bottom then to the left and right (albeit slowly of course at snail speed). When they first arrived they didn't move for a half a day so I was worried but now they are fine (I keep checking them out hehe) but don't seem to name keen on the fish flakes or blanched carrot I put in their tank. 1467217437914.jpg

Introducing Prince, my purple elephant eared betta. Co-owned with my 6-yo daughter actually hehe

She keeps changing his name to Prince PurBlue then Prince Cheetah (coz he moves so fast like a Cheetah she said) so I'm sticking to plain Prince inspired by the Purple Rain singer.

I tried to do the follow my finger thingy from the side of the tank but he actually flares at my finger! Is that considered very aggressive? I'm keeping him and the snails side by side in different tanks first before I move them into the new Fluval Spec V I just got. Maybe it might help if he's seen the snails before they are housed together. Does that make sense?? 1467218102902.jpg

I'm just glad after discovering the snails are nerites and I read up, they might be the most suitable tank mate yet for Prince. Phew.. pure luck!

1467218361445.jpg

Prince likes to swim this side and I'm assuming to check out his "neighbor".

Planning to house them together in their new home tomorrow :)

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if I put Prince in first or the nerites? For fish tankmates I read somewhere that it helps to out the betta in after their tankmate but maybe with nerites any order should be fine?

11. Bithimala

Should be fine in either order with nerites. He'll probably pay no attention to them at all, which is the hope :) Here would be the concern with bettas and nerites, that almost never happens... chasing them around and managing to knock them off of whatever they are on so they end up upside down. They have a very hard time righting themselves, and that basically leaves them completely unprotected.

Picking snails that are on the side of the glass is actually a great thing to do. You know they're active enough to be climbing on things that way.

I can definitely see the patter in the newer pic. Maybe the poor thing is just covered with dirt/algae. I'd give it a few weeks and see, the other one might start cleaning it up and you see an awesome pattern under there!

Beautiful betta too! I'm definitely jealous of that boy. I really want to find a purple one at some point (but would need another tank and to actually find one from somewhere I feel comfortable buying bettas).

12. OP
    OP
    F

Cool! Hope you find your very own Purple Prince too. Thanks for you reply, very helpful. Come to think of it, the darker one does look like it has a layer of slime on it. This morning, saw it hitchhiking on the bigger one. Should be ok right or is it a sign of something? 1467254349196.jpg 1467254572769.jpg Another clearer shot. This angle the smaller one looks too dark to see the pattern beneath the dark coat of suspected algae, etc. Is this normal snail behaviour?

13. Bithimala

Yep, it's normal. They'll ride around on each other... clean each other, if you have a male and female, they'll mate (but eggs won't hatch in fresh water), or as far as I can tell, they just enjoy it, or might just be going in opposite directions and find over to be simpler than around. My nerites ride around on each other, the mystery snails... I think they would ride the shrimp if they could find a way to do so. Of course, my mysteries and shrimp do the same thing. :)

14. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks Bithimala hope the smaller one will get cleaned soon coz have only seen the other way round happening! Perhaps that's why the bigger one's shell is clean and clear hehe

15. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Just so you know if there is a female she will lay eggs everywhere especially if you have driftwood..:they're like white dots. They will almost surely never hatch but they will be all over and are hard to scrape off. I've seen females even lag eggs on the other nerites in the tank and "bedazzling" them. So don't be alarmed if you see white single eggs everywhere.

16. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks for the heads up, @Pringlethesnail most helpful.

I bought a plant recently and just before I took it out of the plastic, saw that it came together with 2 baby snails and also 2 cluster of white eggs on the driftwood. Heard about aquariums getting many snails suddenly due to similar situations so just went back to exchange for a different plant. Planning to move my betta and nerites to their bigger home tomorrow.. I got some stones on the right.. was worried it would reduce less space for the snails to move around but according to the pet store, they'll be fine. So they go up and down rocks too huh (current tank they are in is all flat surface).

1467395146347.jpg

Sneak peek into my purple betta, Prince's new Fluval Spec V home together with my pair of nerite snails Tweedledum & Tweedledee. Moving day this weekend
    after days of cycling and final water check tomorrow, hope all goes well!

17. Bithimala

Yep, they'll climb all over everything. Rocks, plants, I'd assume the inside and outside of the igloo, etc. Looking forward to seeing it with the lights on :)

18. OP
    OP
    F

Excited to see them move in and get comfy hehe

Actually my tank is looking a bit too bare I think but I wanted to keep it more minimalist & easier to maintain. Better to share pix once they have all moved in I think!

19. OP
    OP
    F

1467637392876.jpg

One of my nerite snails getting settled in the bigger home :) Happy to see the antennas here..

20. OP
    OP
    F

Hi guys, need your opinion. Does this look like white snail poop?

I added a 2nd nerite snail in my 5 gallon tank a few days before. If it is harmless snail poop, then I just need to siphon it out and it's safe for my betta to join the aquarium right? I'm worried these could be fungus or parasites, etc.

Appreciate your opinion, thanks!

1468228135133.jpg