need help to identify my catfish.

1. kelly0910 Initiate Member

Hi

I bought a catfish a few months ago and have not seen one the same anywhere since, i was just wondering if anyone could help identify him for me.
    I cannot upload a picture of him but the best i can describe is in the shop he was sold as a "brachy catfish" which grows to 15cms, he is brown with a few white stripes, has shark like fins, big eyes and mouth, seems to be nocturnal, very placid.

If anyone can help i would be very grateful :)

Kelly

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Coradee is the one that comes to mind that might be able to help.
    Welcome, and I have no idea which one that might be.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

5. kelly0910 Initiate Member

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would try & get the Lfs to find out its proper name, if it's one of those Crissandra found you could end up with a monster fish that you can't house properly or rehome.
    Try & get a pic of it, you can resize so it'll upload.

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

That'd be a sign to put up at the dog park, "All unsupervised kids will be fed to the 'Brachy Catfish'"

If he does look similar to that I would still count on him getting fairly large. I'd research some in stunted growth so when he does reach a length he can be rehomed in a timely manner.

I've heard that large fish who are housed with inadequate space will stop growing but their organs continue to expand and grow inside them.. I'm not sure if thats true but it can always be beneficial to plan ahead :)

Good Luck :)

8. kelly0910 Initiate Member

I have been into the LFS several times but she cannot tell me she cant remember which one he was in there as she only had the one.
    Im not convinced it is that one to be honest he does look slightly different but i cannot find any information about him anywhere i have been searching the internet and cant find nothing similar either.
    I will try and upload a pic again i am just having a lot of problems with it think its my phone more than anything as it is a brick lol
    I am hoping he wont get that big though as he is a lovely fish and would be a real shame if i did need to rehome him, might just have to invest in a bigger home :) lol

Thanks

9. kelly0910 Initiate Member

I am still struggling to get a pic on as phone just wont have it, his face looks very similar to this but he is stripy and a lot larger if anyone can help. :)
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

10. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hmm. I don't think I've ever seen one like him. Maybe when you get another chance get a better picture from the side so we can better see the shape of his body & maybe we can track down what family of catfish and then maybe find the species from there... I'll keep looking :)

Theres a family of catfish called Bagridae, they have a similar body shape to your pictured, still on the look out tho! :)

11. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

That's a Synodontis. Yours probably isn't, if it's striped. Can you upload a pic on computer and copy the link?

12. kelly0910 Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies, i still have no idea what he is its really annoying now lol
    I cant upload a pic to the computer as its the phone im having problems with not the computer that is why im struggling. That was the closest pic i could get of him but after looking up 'synodontis' it is defo not one of them.
    I will look up Bagridae catfish and see if he is on there or not.

13. kelly0910 Initiate Member

Hi i have managed to upload some pics of him but they are not very good quality but hopefully some one will be able to tell :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Synodontis brichardi.

15. Crissandra331 Member Member

16. kelly0910 Initiate Member

he is defo a Synodontis brichardi thats great thanks :)
    I have been trying to find out what he is for ages but been struggling soo much.
    Thanks for all the replys and help of everyone :)