Need help telling the sex of my German Blue Ram

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by veasen, Jul 26, 2015.

1. v

veasen New Member Member

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me the sex of my blue rams.. since I thought they were male and female. One you could clearly see it has a red belly and blue scaling in the black spot. The other one I got had poor coloring when I got it, but now that I had it for a week its starting to take color.. it looks like a female. Lol. Theirs blue scaling inside the black spot but it doesn't have a pink belly, but it think its also older. Can someone confirm this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Akili

Akili Valued Member Member

Male should not a have a blue sheen/speckles on the black spot,female should have light sheen/speckles on the spot and pink belly. Looking at the pictures, looks like both female.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    v

veasen New Member Member

I figure but wanted a second opinion.. thanks. :)

Is it ok if I get a male ram to go with the two?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The blue spangles on the black spot are not a dependable means of sexing Rams. There are breeding lines where that character is reversed.

I would say it is a pair, based on the flat belly of the larger fish (male characteristic) and long ventrals with the larger fins, as well as the extent of the spangling on the body. If they've been kept together, two females would both be fat. When they spawn, and the eggs hatch, you'll know that they are a pair.

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Male and female.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    v

veasen New Member Member

Well they love to follow each other around the tank and the male is definitely territorial, scaring away any fish that gets too close lol. But I'm glad to hear that .. this is my first pair of ciclids so I'm learning still, and now I know not to believe everything that's on paper lol.

7. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Definitely one of each. Look at the difference in body shape. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice