Need Help Stocking Tanks

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Bala Shark, Albino Rainbow Shark, and Pleco in my 37 gallon. I am going to move them into my new 60 gallon Tank. I was wondering what other fish I could add to the 60 gallon once it is set up. The Pleco is about 9 inches long, and the bala shark is close to that as well. I don’t want the new fish to get eaten.
I was also wondering what the easiest way to transfer my fish will be- should I use water from the 37 to put into the 60??
lastly, after everything is transferred I am bringing the 37 gallon to a relative. What kind of stocking could she put in there?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There's not enough beneficial bacteria in the water to matter, so there's very little point in moving water from one tank to another one. Ideally you could transfer filter media, but transferring plants, substrate, or other decoration would at least help.

Now that I've got that out of the way, what's your plan for cycling the new tank?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can move the old filter to the new tank, as long as it is cycled at the time, and as long as you dont rinse it in chlorinated water or let it dry out, the new tank will be instantly cycled. The tank is still too small for the fish you have, making it already overstocked and no room for more fish.

What are the dimensions of the 37 gallon? what types of fish is she interested in?

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A 60 gallon isn’t good enough for any of those except the rainbow shark. Bala sharks need at least 125 gallons imo and they need to be in schools 5+. Fully grown your pleco and bala will barely fit the depth of the tank or may even grow bigger

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone! I am sorry that I haven’t been on the thread, I’ve had a lot of work to do over the past few weeks. So replying now, I am the one receiving the 37 gallon. My Uncle bought a bala shark about a year ago, and put it in a 5 Gallon tank. Basically, they wanted to keep the shark, but 65 gallons is as big as they are going for now. A Few months ago, the bala shark killed his other bala shark. So, my Uncle is considering a bigger tank eventually.

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My uncle transferred the fish into the 65 a few days ago without any problems. So, he is bringing the 37 to me on Christmas. I was thinking maybe cichlids? I want some biggish centerpiece fish I think. Also, would fish in cycling be good? I have tetra safestart...

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If his tank is still running, just get it to your house and keep ther filter wet and don't add any new water without first add de-chlorinator, and the tank should still be cycled. Other wise, please do a fish less cycle.

I dont know of any large center peice cichlids that can go in a 36 gallon.
How about some sturdy community fish and a pair of Kribensis cichlids?

Maybe a school of 8 lampeye tetra, , or turquoise rainbow fish, or congo tetra, american some american flag killifish, the kribs and a bristlnose pleco?

FitSoldier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can go the Cichlid route if you want. I have a Rainbow Shark and a common Plecostomus with my mixed Cichlids community in a 60 gallon. Just sell the common Plecostomus once it gets too big and then you can buy another Pleco to restart the process.

You can go the African Cichlid community or the American Cichlid community route. I have kept both the Rainbow Shark and the common Plecostomus in both environments without a problem. Just make sure the fish sizes are proportionate/appropriate with tank mates (e.g. don't put a small 1" Cichlid with large 6" Cichlids).

Before all this, I highly suggest making sure water parameters (tank cycle) is stable before proceeding with whatever route you intend. Let us know how it goes! :emoji_thumbsup:

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you all so much for your help. I am going to look into some of your suggestions, and start cycling fish less later this week. Happy Holidays!!

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, I was wondering how an arrangement of Gouramis would do in the 37? They can be so pretty and colorful. Dwarf Gouramis, Pearls, and even others...

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fish_lover313 said:
So, I was wondering how an arrangement of Gouramis would do in the 37? They can be so pretty and colorful. Dwarf Gouramis, Pearls, and even others...
It's best not to mix Gourami, they don't typically get on especially species like Dwarf that can be aggressive.
A trio of Pearls would look amazing tho :D

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m not sure if I ever updated... I ended up going with African cichlid community... the cichlids are all thriving but my algae is getting a bit out of control

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish_lover313 said:
I’m not sure if I ever updated... I ended up going with African cichlid community... the cichlids are all thriving but my algae is getting a bit out of control
Nerite snails are little algae eating machines.

Fish_lover313

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish_lover313 said:
The cichlids won’t try and eat them??
I don't think so, but I haven't kept cichlids. Hopefully someone else will reply.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom