Need Help Stocking My Ten Gallon Community Tank! Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CosmicDodo42, Apr 15, 2018.

1. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

So after dealing with an overpopulation issue in my 20 gallon long,which had:
    Six Zebra Danios
    Seven glofish
    Four platys
    Four kuhli Loaches
    Three Rasboras
    I fixed it my moving my Kuhli Loaches and my Rasboras into a new ten gal tank that I have been running for multiple days now. My kuhlis love the lack of fish in it, and my Rasboras love all the swimming space they know have. These are the fish in it currently;
    Two netrite snails
    Four kuhli Loaches
    Three Rasboras
    I would like to add;
    A betta fish(I have a spare 2.5 tank with filter and heater Incase of emergency, so no problem there)
    Should I add something new, or add some more Rasboras in. My complete plan would be this;
    1x Betta male
    7x Rasboras
    2x Netrite snails
    4x kuhli Loaches
    5x ghost shrimp
    Would these all work in a ten gallon? Or should I not add the ghost shrimp, and just up the Rasboras? Do I need to move more fish from my 20 gal?

2. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

I think it would be fine as long as you can control the nitrate and nitrite levels. I have a similar 10 gal with 1 male Betta, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Albino Corys and 2 mystery snails and I have no issues with it other than having to do constant water changes and such to deal with the waste. I was also thinking of adding ghost shrimp but I feel as though my betta and corys might kill them, as long as they have space to hide I say go for it but feeding might be tricky if they need to come out of hiding (im no expert im assuming they leave their hiding places to eat).

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

That would be overstocked in my opinion. I would do the kuhlis with the betta OR the rasboras. So many fish with the betta risk included...seems like a recipe for disaster.

4. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

The kuhlis need a bigger tank. No other fish with the betta, only inverts. What kind of rasboras?

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I respectfully disagree. I've seen kuhlis thrive in a 10g, and the betta will work with the kuhlis if they have hiding spots. All in my experience though.

6. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Multible sources say they need a twenty long, and they really need 8 or more of them to feel safe :)

7. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

Harlequin, they live with Bettas in the wild

8. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

My Kuhlis are actually doing better in the 10 than they did in the 20. They actually feel comfortable and aren’t hiding as much as they used to. They’re also pretty tiny, and will have the entire bottom to themselves, as I have decided I won’t get shrimp

9. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

The 10 gallon would be overstocked.

Khuli's need to be kept in groups of 5 or more, and with them reaching up to 5 inches in length, shouldn't be kept in anything less than 25gal at the bare minimum. If you wanted to keep them, keep them in the 20gal, and move the platys to the 10.

Depending on what species of rasbora you have/want, they could work. Group of 6 minimum.

The shrimp should be fine without the betta. Bettas tend to eat shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice