Need Help Stocking My 10 Gallon

ohjustfish

Does this sound like a good set up for a 10 gallon?

I have a 10 gallon tank with a heater and a tetra whisper 10I filter. It's got gravel, lots of live plants, and decorations for hiding.

It's stocked with 2 juliI cory catfish (planning on adding 1-2 more if it wouldn't overstock it), 3 oto cats, 1 nerite snail, and 1 scarlet badis (I plan on adding 1 more of those soon).

I'm also wondering how well a small school of galaxy rosboras would fit in with all of those. If it comes down to having to pick between the rosboras and another badis or another cory, then I'd pick the badis or cory.

Does all that sound okay? For what's in it already, and for what I'm trying to plan?

ohjustfish

Very small schooling fish

What's a small schooling fish that would ideally spend most of its time near the top of the tank? And that would get along well with juliI corys, ghost shrimp (I don't care if they eat the babies though), Scarlet badis, and oto cats?

Coradee

Is this your 10 gallon?
If so then corys aren't really suitable as they need more space, as do Otos.
Celestial pearl danios, chillI rasboras, sparkling gouramI would be a few options.

Airth

Ember tetras may work as well. They're relatively small and add a nice splash of color.

Aquaphobia

Danios are too active for a 10 gallon.

ohjustfish

I was looking at galaxy rasboras, also but I wasn't sure if they would work.
I'm thinking like 1" or under for size.

TexasDomer

Neon tetras also wouldn't work, but galaxy rasboras would!

ohjustfish

Yeah, I'm not really interested in neon tetras, but I'll look into the galaxy rasboras some more then, thanks!

What about endlers, would those be alright?

TexasDomer

ohjustfish said:
What about endlers, would those be alright?
Yep! You can see them listed in that thread linked in post #9.

ohjustfish

TexasDomer said:
Yep! You can see them listed in that thread linked in post #9.
Yeah, but I also want to make sure they'll work well with the other fish in the tank of course

Megg01

ohjustfish said:
Yeah, but I also want to make sure they'll work well with the other fish in the tank of course
Once you remove the otos and cories, yes.

ohjustfish

Megg01 said:
Once you remove the otos and cories, yes.
The majority of sources I've found online and in my lfs (a good one) say that 10 gallons is just fine for false juliI corys and for oto cats. Is it just that having both of them in one tank is too much? Because they all seem to have plenty of room, plenty for when they reach adult size as well.
Will the galaxy rasboras get along well with the corys and otos?
Also, do the rasboras tend to stay towards the mid/top of the tank?

Megg01

ohjustfish said:
The majority of sources I've found online and in my lfs (a good one) say that 10 gallons is just fine for false juliI corys and for oto cats. Is it just that having both of them in one tank is too much? Because they all seem to have plenty of room, plenty for when they reach adult size as well.
Will the galaxy rasboras get along well with the corys and otos?
Also, do the rasboras tend to stay towards the mid/top of the tank?
Cories and otos both need to be in groups of 6 at a minimum. This would be way too much for your tank. Cories also move around a lot while they're scavenging, making them better suited to a 20 gallon long. Most otos are wild caught and very sensitive to water conditions. They also move around a lot. Minimum for them is 20 gallons.

el337

Many online sites and especially LFS's are inaccurate with providing reliable information.

Your corys and otos may appear as though they have plenty of room because they're not in their recommended numbers. They should be in groups of at least 6 but that would really overstock your tank. I would suggest rehoming them before adding more fish as previously suggested.

I would think the rasboras would occupy the mid level of the tank.

ohjustfish

Well, agree to disagree then I suppose.

Aquaphobia

Or you could try to choose fish that will be happiest in your size tank. A single Cory could well fit in it but 6 or more? That's getting crowded which will cause stress. The suggestions made here are by experienced people who only want what's best for the fish and in this case it's to be in a larger group with lots of space.

ohjustfish

I'm not about to get into an argument here, okay? My tank is good, and my fish are healthy. I never said I had 6 corys etc. I have 2, and I'll be getting one more only. All I needed where suggestions for a school of small fish.

Aquaphobia

Yes, but you don't have room for any new fish based on the bioload of the stock you already have.

hampalong

ohjustfish said:
I'm not about to get into an argument here, okay? My tank is good, and my fish are healthy....
They may seem healthy but they are stressed. Cories live in large groups in nature, and Otos live in huge groups of hundreds or thousands. Shoaling fish like these are always stressed when not in a group. I'm not sure why you say your shop is a 'good one' but I wouldn't agree based on the bad advice you've been given.

ohjustfish

hampalong said:
They may seem healthy but they are stressed. Cories live in large groups in nature, and Otos live in huge groups of hundreds or thousands. Shoaling fish like these are always stressed when not in a group. I'm not sure why you say your shop is a 'good one' but I wouldn't agree based on the bad advice you've been given.
Okay, what do you suggest I do? It's not too late for me to return the corys and the otos, so that is still an option if necessary. I can't return the scarlet badis, but that one is fine in a 10 for sure. I'd like to have a school of small fish, and some sort of bottom dweller if not the corys. I also have 3 ghost shrimp and a nerite snail, will those do a good enough job of keeping algae in check or should I get another nerite or two?
I want to keep it to really peaceful tropical fish.
I want to have interesting fish, you know? Ones that are interesting to look at, but not almost unnaturally bright like neon tetras and such are. Any suggestions then?

Aquaphobia

Can't go wrong with nerites for algae control! If you get your stocking and lighting in balance though you may never have a problem! In years past I overstocked and did all kinds of things wrong and could never understand why my tanks turned green every time. Now I understand the relationship between elements of a tank and only seldom see any algae at all

Have you looked at the 10 gallon stock list? The link is in post #9. Have a look through that and come up with a list of fish you like and then run it by the members here.

hampalong

Trouble is your tank is really tiny, so there's not room for many fish. There are three dwarf Cory species available, habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus, but even these would need a bigger tank IMO. The second two actually spend a lot of their time swimming up in midwater. You could use one or two Hara or Erethistes (Moth Cats) on the bottom but they're not very active. These and a small group (6+) of CPDs or Microrasbora or some tiny tetra would fully stock the tank.

If you could somehow double the tank size.... that would give you a lot more options...

Thanks for listening btw, I didn't really expect it.

Edit... What do others think about dwarf Cories in 10g?

ohjustfish

Alright so right now I have a 10 gallon planted with 2 false juliI corys (the plan was to get 1 more to have 3), 3 oto cats, 3 ghost shrimp, and 1 scarlet badis. I've been told this set up doesn't work for the corys and the otos.
I want to keep the scarlet badis, so everything I get will have to be able to get along with him, and I'll probably keep the ghost shrimp as well.

So here's what I'd like to have, so suggestions that kind of fit with this are really appreciated. I'm basically starting over:

1 scarlet badis (I'm open to getting one more as well, if 10 gallons is enough for them not to be aggressive to each other)
3 ghost shrimp
1-2 nerite snails (I have 1 already)
some sort of bottom dweller (I really like the corys, so I suppose if there's something similar to that that's fine in a 10?)
and some sort of school of small fish (like 1 inch and under I think would look the coolest)

And of course if anyone has any other ideas that you think would be cool and get along well with a scarlet badis and shrimp?

Here's a photo of my tank, by the way if that helps you (ignore the net with the neon tetras, I'm returning them tomorrow afternoon. Was going to today, but I didn't get the chance):

TexasDomer

ohjustfish said:
Okay, what do you suggest I do? It's not too late for me to return the corys and the otos, so that is still an option if necessary. I can't return the scarlet badis, but that one is fine in a 10 for sure. I'd like to have a school of small fish, and some sort of bottom dweller if not the corys. I also have 3 ghost shrimp and a nerite snail, will those do a good enough job of keeping algae in check or should I get another nerite or two?
I want to keep it to really peaceful tropical fish.
I want to have interesting fish, you know? Ones that are interesting to look at, but not almost unnaturally bright like neon tetras and such are. Any suggestions then?
Neons aren't unnaturally bright - that's their natural coloring, so they're very "natural."

Rehome the otos and cories. I agree with hampalong - no dwarf cories in a 10 gal.

You have room for 8-10 galaxy rasbora, and add another badis (only one male in this tank though). The badis will occupy the lower level while the rasboras will swim in the middle and top.

You can add more nerites if you want, but you're the best controller of algae - control your light schedule and you shouldn't have issues.

ohjustfish

hampalong said:
Trouble is your tank is really tiny, so there's not room for many fish. There are three dwarf Cory species available, habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus, but even these would need a bigger tank. The second two actually spend a lot of their time swimming up in midwater. You could use one or two Hara or Erethistes (Moth Cats) on the bottom but they're not very active. These and a small group (6+) of CPDs or Microrasbora or some tiny tetra would fully stock the tank.

If you could somehow double the tank size.... that would give you a lot more options...

Thanks for listening btw, I didn't expect it.
I know, sorry I get really defensive. I've been to the store like 3 times already this past week returning fish and such it's so embarrassing and somehow it's always the same guy there just judging me DX
I just started a thread actually so I can get some more help with this.
Believe me, if I could have a bigger tank I would. The 10 is actually an upgrade for me, I had a 5.5 before.
I'll look into the moth cats.

TexasDomer said:
Neons aren't unnaturally bright - that's their natural coloring, so they're very "natural."

Rehome the otos and cories. I agree with @ - no dwarf cories in a 10 gal.

You have room for 8-10 galaxy rasbora, and add another badis (only one male in this tank though). The badis will occupy the lower level while the rasboras will swim in the middle and top.

You can add more nerites if you want, but you're the best controller of algae - control your light schedule and you shouldn't have issues.
I know it's their natural coloring, that's why I said almost unnatural. I just mean that they almost seem to clash with how most of the other fish look, especially things like the badis and rasboras.

Aquaphobia

If the guy at the pet store isn't giving you the right advice then don't worry about him judging you, he should be worried about you judging him! Also, you're just trying to get things right so you have healthy, happy fish and there's nothing wrong with that. If anything he should be happy that the fish he sells are going to such a conscientious owner

Megg01

Celestial Pearl Danios are awesome! Someone else will have to jump in about whether they're appropriate with your badis.

MinhMai

qchris87 said:
Maybe Corydoras Habrosus? They stay on the small side someone can correct me if 10 gal is too small for them. But I don't think any other cory would fit in a 10.

Maybe a school of Celestial Pearl Danios?

You could get ideas from this list:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stocking-list-for-10-gallons.207629/
I'm keeping 4 Cory habrosus in my 10 gallon and they have been doing well. This species tends to wander around looking for food alone and then when they run into each other they merge into a small shoal for a minute before breaking up to search for food again.

el337

qchris87 said:
Maybe Corydoras Habrosus? They stay on the small side someone can correct me if 10 gal is too small for them.
I believe 15 gallon min for them.

Dave125g

10 gallon is tough to stock,too small. Any chance of an upgrade in the near future? Bigger tank will give you much more options.

heather25

I got some advice when I got my fist tank and the was for every 1 inch of fish give it 1 gallon of water so if u get fish that grows 2 inches when mature u can put in 5 if only 1 inch u could get 10 neons are small fish so I went with 10 of them.

Dave125g

heather25 said:
I got some advice when I got my fist tank and the was for every 1 inch of fish give it 1 gallon of water so if u get fish that grows 2 inches when mature u can put in 5 if only 1 inch u could get 10 neons are small fish so I went with 10 of them.
That an outdated rule of thumb. Fact is you can go more with schooling fish.

Megg01

heather25 said:
Unfortunately, the 1 inch per gallon rule is entirely inaccurate.

Neons need a 20 gallon.

Aquaphobia

heather25 said:
You were given bad advice. That "rule of thumb" doesn't work I'm afraid.

Dave125g

Lots of factors come into play when stocking. Planted/ unplanted. Type of fish. Etc Etc Etc

heather25

Thanks for letting me know that least now I won't over stock my tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom