Need help stocking 60 gallon tropical community tank

1. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Hello everyone! I have a 60 gallon aquarium that I need to stock. I currently only have a mystery snail. I want as many different kinds of fish as possible. I love cory cats so I definitely want a school of those. I love neon/cardinal tertras because of the color and schooling swimming they do. Any other suggestions? I want a peaceful community.

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. That is exciting. Do you want a centerpiece fish ? Do you want schooling fish only, egg layers or live bearers? What other fish do you really want besides the neons,or cardinals and the cory cats. ? Are their fish at the fish store that really attract you in addition to those mentioned? Alison:;hi1...Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not click on the words and it will take you to a link which is the first thing you need to do when you set up a tank.

3. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Ive had aquariums since i was young so I know all about cycling the tank and everything. I had 2 fancy goldfish for about 4 years. The first one died about a month ago for unknown reasons, then the other one died last night. Im thinking they died of old age because my aunt had them for many years and gave them to me. I want schooling fish especially, but I am open to other fish. A center piece fish would be great!

4. katiemorrison94 Member Member

60 gallon stocking ideas

I know ive asked a thousand times but i need to be sure before i buy these fish! I have a 60 gallon aquarium (48 x 12 x 25), sand substrate, planted. Current temp 77 degrees, ph 7.7, canister filter rated up to 175 gallons

20 neon tetras
    15 cherry barbs
    8 sterbai corys
    1 mystery snail

Is this okay temp wise? Im worried the neons won't work. Am i overstocked? Could i get another schooling fish? Is so what kind?

5. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Should work

6. katiemorrison94 Member Member

The neons will be fine in the higher temp?

7. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

imo its within their safe zone, you could lower it a couple degrees if youre worried

8. ystrout Member Member

Here are my three favorite fish in my tank.

Pearl danios. The cool kids of the tank. They own the tank, everyone else simply lives in it.

Rummynose tetras. Beautiful fish. Even the way they swim is ellagagant. They don't wiggle their whole bodies, they just pinch their tail and that propels them forward.

And bloodfin tetras. They're so cute. More full bodied than rummies. I fell in love with the breed after this happened. 3 out of my 4 bloodfins randomly died. Like out of no where... Really weird. But the only one left was alone for like a week because no petco seemed to have them. Then once u was able to bring a few more home, it took him like 15 seconds to find the new ones. He literally schooled so tightly that he was touching them for hours. He was so happy. Bloodfins and rummys will also school together loosely. No one swims in tight of a school as rummies do, but bloodfins and rummies definetly like each other. Probably because they're both white bodied with red on them.

These are my three favorite fish types, in no particular order. But I honestly have to say I probably like the pearls the best.

9. Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

For centerpiece fish in a tank that size, you really can't go wrong with an angelfish or two and either a redtail or rainbow shark. Well, unless you don't make a cave for the shark, I guess. I have both a platinum angelfish and a rainbow shark in one of my tanks and they're by far two of my favorite fish.

10. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

i recommend half a dozen bn plecs, all for free, if your travel to southern ohio!