Need help stocking 20 gallon?

ybinson

Hi,
I am wanting to stock a moderately planted 20 gallon tank with the following:
4 x Australian Rainbows
6 x Zebra Danios
2 x guppies

I am not too sure on the guppies because I’ve heard they are fine when kept in pairs, but not too sure. Please let me know about how to stock guppies because I want guppies in my tank, but don’t want it to be overstocked with all the other fish.

I also have a 10 gallon tank, moderately planted with 6 white cloud minnows. Would the guppies be fine if I added them to that tank, or would that also be overstocking?

kansas

When I had 3 male guppies, one of them was always getting beat up. Each fish is different but it didn't work for me.

A male and a female, the male will pester the female non-stop and you'll end up with fry, altho the danios will probly eat most of them. Most people keep at least two females with each male so the male is less of a pest.

ybinson

When I had 3 male guppies, one of them was always getting beat up. Each fish is different but it didn't work for me.

A male and a female, the male will pester the female non-stop and you'll end up with fry, altho the danios will probly eat most of them. Most people keep at least two females with each male so the male is less of a pest.
Thank you! Do you think the 3 guppies will be fine in the 20 gallon tank or do you think it will be overstocked?

kansas

A lot of people use this web page:

It shows how much bioload your tank can handle but doesn't address things like behavior or compatibility. Except for my limited experience with guppies, I've never kept any of these fish.

Good luck, stocking decisions are hard cause you live with them for some time.

ProudPapa

Isn't 20 gallons a little small for Australian rainbows?

JustAFishServant

Technically it's *just* large enough for them although I like to go a bit larger :)

ybinson

Yes they are only about 1 1/2 inches right now but I definitely plan to upgrade their tank in the future

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question