Need help stocking 15 gal planted tank

PrinceKami

Reaction score
Hiya~ I’m new here just to ask for some help in stocking my 15 gal tank. I’ve recently rescaped and replanted it. Now I’m looking for a new colourful crew of fish! It’s currently got a few fish in it still, so I’d need the new fish to be able to go with those.

Currently it has one pleco (species unknown, must be some kinda ancristus but I doubt it’s a bristlenose since it’s got no bristles and looks different, but it does have the cheek spikes and it’s small), a single remaining black skirt tetra, and a whole gaggle of about 20 amano shrimp (started with 5, experiment to raise the babies got out of hand so here we are).

I was thinking of adding a small group of albino Cory catfish (maybe about 4-5), neon terras (6-10?), endlers guppies (I don’t know how many since they would probably breed), and maybe possibly a Male plakat koi betta.

Now I’m worried that this would be overstocked, or if the corys and the shrimp would clash. The shrimp are absolute little pigs with eating and steal all the food away from shyer fish, even from the pleco. I read that Bettas should be okay with these fish, he might eat endler babies but that would be good population control maybe?

I would just like a little confirmation on if this would be a good stock list for the 15 gal, or if it’s too much what should I put in instead :3

Picture of the tank in question attached, but no fish are in it in that picture.

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have that many shrimp they corydoras may not work.
I would sell or rehome the black skirt tetra before adding any fish. They tend to get nippy when alone.
Not sure if the betta would get along with the endlers or not. Some people can do it others say don't.

OP
P

PrinceKami

Reaction score
I could try to remove some of the shrimp, tho they are very quick and difficult to catch haha. Should’ve thought about it better before I added all of them back in but oh well. I figured since albino corys get decently big and would be in a group it could maybe be alright? Or if I distract the shrimp with some smaller pellets first and then feed the corys some bottom dweller tabs?

would the black skirt tetra be nippy with the neons? I plan on adding the neons before the other fish. The black skirt honestly seems immortal, I’ve had him for at least 5 years and he’s still not showing any signs of old age, but maybe he will die soon.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PrinceKami said:
I could try to remove some of the shrimp, tho they are very quick and difficult to catch haha. Should’ve thought about it better before I added all of them back in but oh well. I figured since albino corys get decently big and would be in a group it could maybe be alright? Or if I distract the shrimp with some smaller pellets first and then feed the corys some bottom dweller tabs?

would the black skirt tetra be nippy with the neons? I plan on adding the neons before the other fish. The black skirt honestly seems immortal, I’ve had him for at least 5 years and he’s still not showing any signs of old age, but maybe he will die soon.
Albino corydoras get a bit big for a 15g, you could do pygmy or panda corydoras. But like I said with all the shrimp you don't really need them.
There's no way of knowing if he'll be nippy with the tetras until you buy them.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
I'd keep the shrimp as the bottom feeders. 15g is a little too small for copies imo.

I would add 10 Neon Tetras and call it a day for now. Once your black skirt passes, then maybe consider a centrepiece fish like a honey gourami. A Betta might work, but they typically like warmer water compared to the neons

New Threads