Need help starting convict cichlid tank!!

fishrule101
After much debate, I have finally decided to convert my "new" 29 gallon tank into a american cichlid tank. I was wondering is some one can help me with a few questions.

How many/other fish can I keep if I have 3 convict cichlids?

What is the main difference other than water parameters about cichlids and community fish?

What kind of hiding places will help keep aggression down?

What will help provoke my convict cichlids into breeding.

Will live plants or fake plants work best?

gmen4life
ok well they breed real easy they just do it on their own lie some say just add fish lol well if you have a pair they get nasty while breeding and protecting their young so have a place for the third when they pair off

fishrule101
ok well they breed real easy they just do it on their own lie some say just add fish lol well if you have a pair they get nasty while breeding and protecting their young so have a place for the third when they pair off

How do you know when they pair off?

gmen4life
well they are like the rabbits of the fish world if you follow

CHoffman
IF you want a breeding pair of convicts you wont' be able to keep any other fish in there with them with that size of tank. They are SUPER aggressive when breeding and will attack the other fish and kill them from stress or aggression. Convicts really just aren't good community fish unless kept as a single with other aggresssive cichlids or in a large enough tank that they can claim an area and the other fish can escape harm. Convicts do breed like rabbits. You will have so many babies if you do get a pair. You will know when they have paired off because they will be act as a team and defend their "spot" and terrorize the rest of the fish. but be prepared for babies and lots of them, YOu'll have to find them all homes, most LFS wont' pay for them since they breed so easy. Convicts are a very cool fish and in my opinion very beautiful but they can be tricky since they are so darn aggressive and prolific.

Toddnbecka
There are a few other species that would be a bit easier to get along with than convicts. Honduran red points or Cryptoheros nanoluteus are less aggressive fish overall, though not as commonly available at your lfs. They're quite often listed on aquabid though; rainbow cichlids would also work in a 29.

Tony G.
Live plants will eventually get taken out of your substrate. They tend to "redocorate" their home to their liking. They will eventually breed , you just have to give them time. They need lots of caves/tubes so they can play and discover new hiding spots. The 29 gallons is perfect for a pair of cons. I wouldn't add any more fish since they get VERY aggressive during spawning/mating season.

fishrule101
Will it be ok if I just bought four or three cichlids and then when I get a pair take the others back to the LFS?

Iron waffle
Will it be ok if I just bought four or three cichlids and then when I get a pair take the others back to the LFS?
That'll work, but you'd have to do it pretty quickly because there's no stopping them when they begin to mate, someone would likely get hurt.

fishrule101
That'll work, but you'd have to do it pretty quickly because there's no stopping them when they begin to mate, someone would likely get hurt.

Ok thanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
tyguy7760
Replies
Views
DoTheRightThing
Replies