Need Help Solving This Fish Problem/mystery

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by redheadfishlover, Jun 11, 2018.

1. redheadfishloverNew MemberMember

I had a parrot cichlid in my parrot cichlid tank, and it got pale, I looked it up and it said it was about to breed, but then it died after a while.

I’m so confused. What happened?

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

A lot of things could of happened but figuring that out will be an adventure.

What size tank and what are the tank mates?
    Is the tank cycled and what are the parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temp, pH)?
    Notice anything different other than faded color? Did it stop eating, hide a lot, hang near the surface? Was anyone bullying it?

3. redheadfishloverNew MemberMember

I saw somebody pushing that parrot cichlid down, and I have to check the water, and it is a 75 gallon tank, and the tank mates are other parrot cichlids, an unknown grey cichlid, and some haps.

4. edevingoValued MemberMember

Parrot fish are a hybrid and they really shouldn't be housed with Africans. Haps and Peacocks nip/bite and unfortunately kill on occasion. Which parrot fish are basically unable to even defend themselves or nip back to say "stay away" they become stressed easily or better yet show stress. Without a picture they are also known to loose color without any actual "issue" present.

5. redheadfishloverNew MemberMember

I’m not sure what they really are. I just took a guess

I’m not sure what the grey ones are. They are small and they have purple stripes near their eyes

The African cichlids are about 3 inches though

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018