Need Help sexing this Betta

Splendorfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey everyone. So this betta is one that i bought as a very young juvenile and raised. He/she is about 4.5 months old now, and I can't tell if it is a boy or girl! I first had it pegged as a male because it was really aggressive when I put a mirror in it's tank, but recently I decided I was wrong because I thought I could see an egg spot. Now he/she is blowing a bubble nest in it's tank! Can anyone tell from this info and mediocre pics if this is a him or a her betta?

Attachments

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Usually females don't blow bubble nests, but there has been a few cases of it happening.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Several of our feisty fems on the forum have blown bubble nests. Mine included.
I'm definitely not an expert on sexing bettas but to me, that looks like a male.
Can you see if there's a white spot on it's belly? That usually indicates a female.

Splendorfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't think he? has one, its hard to tell because he usually has his ventrals covering it up and his belly is white, but I ma thinking he is male

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try looking for the eggspot when you feed..uh.. your Potential Girl/Guy

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To me, it looks like a halfmoon female.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Monmouth said:
To me, it looks like a halfmoon female.
Yeah? lol. I definitely am not one for sexing but remember, this betta is a youngster.

Splendorfish, why don't/didn't you ask the seller?

Splendorfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, Right now I have no way of contacting the seller. I can't find them in aquabid where I got the fish because they hardly ever sell their fish and I have already deleted the emails. But I don't think the seller new for sure, they were only 8 weeks when I got them.

Oh, and I think that his tail has still been growing. I agree it looks like either a really nice half moon female or a juvenile male, but I am leaning toward male cuz he has been making his bubble nest bigger all day

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lucy said:
Yeah? lol. I definitely am not one for sexing but remember, this betta is a youngster.

Splendorfish, why don't/didn't you ask the seller?
Ya, and I'm not sure when bettas tails fully grow in. I thought I remembered being told the ones in pet stores are around 6 months.

Splendorfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It depends on the water conditions and what you are feeding them. Six months is on the early end if you keep them in good water conditions and feed them something that is high in protein like baby brine shrimp.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can shine a light on your fish, I have heard this helps to identify an egg spot if there is one...

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like a very handsome man to me

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks to me like a male delta tail..

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a male for sure...It is a VERY nice young red boy....Where did you find him?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads