Need Help Sexing My Bolivian Rams

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by spikyfish, Apr 17, 2019.

1. spikyfishNew MemberMember

Hi, I have 2 Bolivian rams and I am wondering if somebody could sex them for me. Since last week, I have noticed them displaying to each other a lot and that has sparked my interest. I think/hope that I might have a male and a female but I am not sure.

Fish #1
    upload_2019-4-17_20-33-24.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-17_20-33-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-17_20-34-9.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-17_20-45-33.jpeg

Fish #2

upload_2019-4-17_20-46-1.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-17_20-46-1.jpegupload_2019-4-17_20-46-1.jpegupload_2019-4-17_20-46-1.jpeg

2. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Bottom is female (you can tell by the egg tube). Top is male, I think.

3. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Bolivians are quite hard to sex, but I'd say the same from looking at them. It'll become more obvious as they mature but based off of the breeding tubes I'd say 1. Male 2. Female.

What displaying have they been doing?

4. spikyfishNew MemberMember

They chase each other a bit. They also display their fins and stuff. Kinda hard to explain.

I am hoping to breed them. Do you have any tips?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  5. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Mine formed a pair after about a week and bred within 2. They continuously breed now. You'll know they are interested when they (usually the male) twitch when around the other. The male will try to keep her in his selected territory, batting her with his caudal fin and flaring. They dig holes around a rock/flat surface, lay the eggs on the rock and move them to the holes when they hatch. I first thought they might have parasites as they were scratching against the substrate - that was just them digging the holes. If you see them taking turns to hover over an area there could be eggs there.

If you want to breed, put a flat rock/decoration in an area surrounded by plants or cover and they will find that spot attractive. They will breed readily when they like each other so it's not too difficult. I feed the fry baby brine shrimp. They are very slow growers too.

6. spikyfishNew MemberMember

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info!!