Need help sexing long finned molly

MomOfLiveBearers

Ok so normally I can tell right away. However I just got this one because seriously look at those fins!
Anyway I am leaning towards male due to the long dorsal. Thoughts?

PerfectSatyr683

It looks like a female too me but hard to tell

Actually I think It is a male

MomOfLiveBearers

PerfectSatyr683 said:
Actually I think It is a male
I really think male.but he is still.a bit shy and hasnt gotten yo the point that he is fanning his fins out yet. All my other molly are female so either way itll be fine. Im hoping male though lol.

AcornTheBetta

Looks male to me.

AggressiveAquatics

I agree it looks like a male

BettasAreSuperior

I think it's female because males will have a stick like analfin while females have two small analfins.

PerfectSatyr683

yep but males have two things at the bottom too

BettasAreSuperior

PerfectSatyr683 said:
yep but males have two things at the bottom too
No, males have a stick like analfin called a Gonopodium. It looks like a very small stick-like fin. I think that is a female.

MomOfLiveBearers

BettasAreSuperior said:
No, males have a stick like analfin called a Gonopodium. It looks like a very small stick-like fin. I think that is a female.
Males have a gonopodium while females have a triangular shaped analfin. That doesnt change their other fins. Females have short dorsals, evem the sailfin females. While males have longer dorsals.

AggressiveAquatics

Great now I’m confused

MomOfLiveBearers

Both sexes have fins on bottom. This one has extra long fins so its hard to actually see the analfin.

emeraldking

A bit hard to tell from that distance for the pelvic fins are in the way.
But I do have to say that with lyretail mollies, the female doesn't have a V-shaped analfin. The analfin of a lyretail is different from a regular finned molly.
Younger males have the same dorsal shape as females. And I'm just referring to the common known mollies. For there are wild molly species where the males don't have a large dorsal. It depends on the molly species itself wether a male will develop a large dorsal or not.

emeraldking

A closer shot from the side would give a better indication.

MomOfLiveBearers

Now that he is more comfortable in the tank he hung out this morning and allowed me to get a good look. Def a male.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom