Need help setting up FOWLR tank

mossman

Anyone in the DC, MD, Northern VA area that would be interested in helping me set up a 65 gallon FOWLR tank? I already have the tank in place (currently a FW tank), and would have all the materials and equipment more or less set up. Just need some help getting everything dialed in.

Dechi

I can’t help you physically but I’m in the process of transforming my 75 gallons into a saltwater tank, if you have specific questions.

mossman

I can’t help you physically but I’m in the process of transforming my 75 gallons into a saltwater tank, if you have specific questions.
I won't be doing anything just yet (need to convince my daughter to let me sell the FW fish). When the time comes, I'd like to convert my FW to a SW tank. The display tank is on the first floor and I plan on running lines to the floor below (finished basement), to house a sump with mechanical filtration and protein skimmer. A few questions for starters:

What's the best way to do the overflow box? Do I drill a couple holes through the back/top of the tank and attach the box? Or is it better to put a box inside the tank for better surface skimming?

Is the bean/animal the best option for quietness and overflow safety? I want to be sure if there's a power outage, nothing overflows or runs dry.

Any issues with running 15ft drain lines to the floor below? I imagine the water velocity will need to be slowed down. Should I control drainage water with ball valves or put a few s-traps in the lines to slow water down?

What types of fail safe mechanisms should I put in place to ensure the display tank doesn't overflow, the sump doesn't overflow, and the return pump doesn't run dry?

Is there any way to restart the system automatically after a power outage?

In FW tanks, the filter intake is low inside the tank, but SW tanks use overflows. Doesn't this lead to waste buildup in the lower areas of the tank? Is it a good idea to have a power head down low to keep things stirred up and pushed upward towards the overflow?

This video was extremely helpful, but I still have many questions. I'm sure You Tube will answer most of them.

One more question I meant to ask in my previous post: Is it okay to convert to flexible hose after the overflow box then back to rigid just before the sump? Would make things easier, but using rigid the entire way wouldn't be a big deal either.

Dechi

mossman I should have mentioned I’m doing a sumpless, no overflow box 75 gallons, lol ! Sorry, I can’t help you much.

There are good specialized reef tank forums out there. Maybe you can check them out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
JeremyW
Replies