Need Help Setting Up A Planted 10 Gallon

1. Daniel Erickson

Daniel Erickson New Member Member

So I've always wanted to set up a planted aquarium. I tried to do it in my 55 gal. but my silver dollar keeps eating the plants. I was wondering since I have a 10 gallon, I was just going to take the plants and put them buy themselves in this 10 gallon in about 2 or 3 inches of flourite substrate. I was wondering if I can take water from the 55 and put it in the 10 to give the plants more nutrients and so they have water they are used to. Can I do this, help is appreciated.

2. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

You can... but dirty water is just dirty water... better off dosing ferts

3. OP
    OP
    Daniel Erickson

Daniel Erickson New Member Member

Can I just put fresh water in the tank? Would that be ok?

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Use clean water, and dose ferts once or twice a week depending on how many plants you have and their needs.

5. Little fry babies

Little fry babies Valued Member Member

A 10 gallon tani is hard to plant as well lol .Any tank is .What you wpuld want to do is buy organic potting soil, organic potting mix or organic garden soil. Rinse ot and let it dry. I bought organic garden soilthw ecoscraps brand and am going to buy this stuff calles burpee organic garden coir to add and mix into the soil .Then you layer it maybe 2" and add on wet sand or gravel .You can use tahitian moon sand, playground sand, pool ssnd, or even flourite sand, to mask over the dirt. You want to make sure you rinse the sand first though and put ot in the tank while wet over your dirt . plant yoir desired plants in the soil, then put a plate on top of your soil and sand and slowly fill the tank up with the water in the plate. Id wait a few weeks to a month or two before addimg fish so that way it gives your plants time to root into the soil and sand. Hope that helps .I watched YouTube vids on how to set up a planted tank lol .

And you can use tap water just buy tetraaquasage plus, and easy balance plus ans dose weekly .If you buy easy balance plus and use it you wont habe to do much water changes . But i still do any way since my tank is a 20 gallon . eomce every two to three weeks. But ideally once a month is fine especially with a fully planted tank and strong fimteration .

Sorry for the poor spelling

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Tanks are not hard to plant, you just need to find plants you can grow (silver dollars are notorious lawn mowers as they are designed to eat plants), root tabs and liquid ferts are easier than a walstad tank, less time consuming.
    Good plants to start with are anubias, java fern, java moss, ludwigia, bacopa, and most aponogeton are fairly easy (they require a little more light, but generally are very nice looking with little effort), many of these are able to densely plant a ten gallon to your satisfaction.
    Fresh water is going to be better because it will carry more nutrients the plants need, old water is depleted of some minerals that are used by the fish.