Need help setting up 36 gallon reef

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Jiggyjigmah, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Jiggyjigmah

JiggyjigmahValued MemberMember

I have a 36 gallon bowfront and stand. I would like to make it into a reef tank. I won't be drilling for a sump. Instead, I will be using an Octopus Classic 90 HOB skimmer and an Aqua Clear 70 with an intank media basket mod (filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure).

Which powerhead(s) should I get and where should they be placed in the tank? How much dry rock should I be adding (thinking about going with Pukani)?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I'm unable to help with choosing a good skimmer (My setup is currently sumpless and skimmerless) so I'll have to skip over that.

Since you're going with pukani, which is a lot more porous than other rock, you could get away with about 30lb. But I still recommend getting 35-40lb so you can choose from a few rocks and keep a few left over for rubble.

As for powerheads, I have a personal preference towards Koralia powerheads, but if you need a but more control of the powerheads such as hooking them up to a controller, I'd go with VorTech or Jebao powerheads.

What kind of tank are you going with? Softies? SPS or LPS?

3. OP
    OP
    Jiggyjigmah

JiggyjigmahValued MemberMember

Which Koralia would I need?

I'm thinking softies and LPS. I may go with two Kessil a160's.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

For LPS I would do 2x 850 or 2x 1150. Maybe 3x 850.

5. Slug

SlugWell Known MemberMember

I'm partial to Vortechs, not sure I'll ever buy another powerhead other than Vortech to be honest, they are that good. But I don't know your budget.

The Kessils should work well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice