Need help removing green algae.

Magtom

Hi all-
My newly cycled 40 gallon breeder has green algae growing on the substrate (Seachem flourish dark) and a tiny bit of the rock, plants and wood. Please recommend a sure fire way to get rid of it, if possible. Thanks!

One way someone suggested to make sure that’s it is actually blue green algae is to take a few pieces of it and put it into a white bucket filled with a few inches of water. Check it in 24 hours to see if the green color is bleeding out (which he said means it’s spreading. I did and sure enough, there was a green ring around each piece.

Attachments

• 2A773DE3-88DC-4AD9-9D26-661608FE5548.jpeg
    2A773DE3-88DC-4AD9-9D26-661608FE5548.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 72316A65-53FB-484B-87FA-9E2BBEF054FE.jpeg
    72316A65-53FB-484B-87FA-9E2BBEF054FE.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 18
  • 79AADA6A-06B0-41B7-B4B2-549BEA1B122E.jpeg
    79AADA6A-06B0-41B7-B4B2-549BEA1B122E.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1E02F6E9-F6B4-41D6-8C5E-404B87DF30FD.jpeg
    1E02F6E9-F6B4-41D6-8C5E-404B87DF30FD.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 695AE3D5-D5B7-4219-A5F2-6EF2E695AD0B.jpeg
    695AE3D5-D5B7-4219-A5F2-6EF2E695AD0B.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 15

Mudminnow

Interesting, I've never heard of the bucket bleed test before. Regardless, I agree with your conclusion. That looks like blue green algae to me.

I don't know any sure fire ways to get rid of it, but I can recommend some things that have helped me. I've found more current and oxygen, less light, and siphoning out mulm help it go away. Other than that, I'm not too sure.

Upvote 0

kansas

I got rid of most of mine. I did larger water changes, blocked the sun that hit the tank part of the day, lowered the light, got some floating plants.

Upvote 0

Magtom

Thank you. Is mulm the green stuff?
I got rid of most of mine. I did larger water changes, blocked the sun that hit the tank part of the day, lowered the light, got some floating plants.
Thanks Kansas. I’ll try that. I’m going to do a large water change tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Thank you. Is mulm the green stuff?
Mulm is the floaty grey/brown organic stuff that settles in your gravel.

Upvote 0

Magtom

The stuff in the gravel in my tank is deep green. Is that what you’re talking about? And yours was brown/gray?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

The stuff in the gravel in my tank is deep green. Is that what you’re talking about? And yours was brown/gray?
No, I'm not talking about the algae when I say mulm. You may not even have much mulm in your tank at all. But, if you do a google image search for mulm, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the stuff that comes up when you gravel vac.

Upvote 0

Magtom

I did a Google search and I see what you mean. I have Seachem Flourite as the substrate and many folks say it’s hard to vacuum because it goes up in the vacuum. I’m searching how to clean it. I think I need more plants so the substrate gets covered by them and less light. I did see a video where a guy used something called Chemiclean and it worked and didn’t come back even after a few months. Here’s the link.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I did a Google search and I see what you mean. I have Seachem Flourite as the substrate and many folks say it’s hard to vacuum because it goes up in the vacuum. I’m searching how to clean it. I think I need more plants so the substrate gets covered by them and less light. I did see a video where a guy used something called Chemiclean and it worked and didn’t come back even after a few months. Here’s the link.
I use substrates that are tough to vacuum too. What I do is use a turkey baster. I blast the substrate with one hand, kicking stuff up into the water column. And, I siphon up the stuff with the other hand.

More plants and less light is almost always a good way to go--providing you keep your plants healthy. Stressed plants make algae problems worse, not better.

I watched the video. It seems to me that stuff is worth a try. Personally though, I use those sorts of products after other things don't seem to be working.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SuperSword48
  • Algae
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
  • KTshrimp
  • Algae
Replies