Need Help Removing Algae!!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by circulita17, Aug 7, 2014.

1. circulita17

circulita17 Valued Member Member

Well hello my fellow FishLore Peeps! I hope everyone is doing mighty fine. I am having quit a bit of a problem with my fish tank. The tank currently houses 7 fishes and the tank has been cycled for almost 5 years. The readings are and have been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and the nitrAtes are about 80 the reason being is because my tap water contains high nitrAtes. I use to have plants I took them out. That didn't help with the high nitrAtes! I am planing on re-planting the aquarium some time soon. I feed every other day. The problem I am having is that it seems that I still get diatoms! it's this brown algae! It look disgusting. What can I do to remove this algae? Can I use the algae removers from Petsmart? Will turning of the lights for days work? talking about lights my fishes get about 10-12 hours of light a day. Thanks for taking the time to help me :;rocker :;hf

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

I wouldn't recommend adding chemical algae removing products as they don't always worked are at best a temporary solution because they don't address underlying causes. I would definitely scale back the lighting to no more than 8 hours maximum. The nitrates are also at a concerning level. How high are the nitrates straight out of your tap?

3. OP
    OP
    circulita17

circulita17 Valued Member Member

Thank you for taking the time to help me! :D I was curious as to trying the products cause the algae looks horrible in the aquarium, and when it's a constant problem you just want to try anything to resolve it. When I had plants in the tank I didn't know that tap water here in Odessa contained 60 ppm of nitrAtes. I guess the plants were consuming the nitrAtes, because when it was time to check parameter in the aquarium the nitrAtes stayed around 20 to 30 PPM. I am thinking of re-planting the tank as soon as a resolve this algae problem. The reason being is because I removed the plants due to the algae. The algae started covering the plants and some were dying and I kept having to cut them back and now boom a bigger algae bloom. SMH. I never knew how stubborn algae can be. I will definitely cut back on the light to see if that helps. Thanks for you advice.

4. t

thabigo New Member Member

I am having a brown algae problem as well but they are saying that you should increase the lighting and so more frequent water changes. Perhaps having you tank setup for such a long time you have increased the amount of time that you do you water changes? Just making sure. I am in the same boat as you. I was doing every other week - ever 1.5 weeks but now I will start doing every week water changes 25% -30%.

Something must have changed that you are getting this issues now after 5 years. I am at about 4 months with my tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice