Need Help Red Gills On Gold Barbs

erhwho

After seeing my Gold Barbs had developed red gills today, I tested my water parameters and ammonia and nitrites were both at 1.00 PPM, nitrates at 20 PPM. Did a 50% water change. Pretty sure my tank is going through a cycle bump from a round of medication early last week (which also wiped out all of my Hornwart and Anacharis).

My question is if the red gills are from the ammonia or nitrites, how long before they will get better? I find it odd that out of Albino Tiger Barbs, Tiger Barbs, Gold Barbs, an Albino Rainbow Shark and Blue Gouramis, ONLY the Gold Barbs are affected. Just seems so weird. Are they just more sensitive than the others?

Oldticker

I'm guessing you added Prime to dosage required for your whole tank? That will help render ammonia bearable for them. But you will need to do a few daily or every other day water changes with prime each time. The ammonia test will still read high even with prime, it changes the harmful ammonia to a state they can deal with but its still in water. Probably after about two-three water changes you should see improvement. Good luck and I'm sorry you have suffering fish! It's tough, especially when you lost plants.

erhwho

Yes, I used Prime and I also added some API Quick Start in hopes of helping the cycle bump. Went through and removed all of the Anacharis I had left just to be safe; I was hoping it would pull through but it's not worth leaving under the circumstances - I don't want plant detritus adding to the ammonia and nitrite levels. I'll be doing water changes for a couple days regardless. Hopefully they start getting better soon. Thanks!

BottomDweller

Keep up the water changes. Remember prime can detoxify up to 1ppm ammonia and nitrite combined. So it could detoxify 0.5ppm ammonia and 0.5 nitrite for up to 24hours or 0.3 ammonia and 0.7 ammonia.
If you have 1ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrite then do a water change to lower them. In theory a 50% water change should lower them both to 0.5ppm. Or you can double dose prime.

Oldticker

Sounds like a good plan. Yes removing iffy plant will help avoid more ammonia from decay. You're doing it right.

erhwho

Keep up the water changes. Remember prime can detoxify up to 1ppm ammonia and nitrite combined. So it could detoxify 0.5ppm ammonia and 0.5 nitrite for up to 24hours or 0.3 ammonia and 0.7 ammonia.
If you have 1ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrite then do a water change to lower them. In theory a 50% water change should lower them both to 0.5ppm. Or you can double dose prime.

Thanks! I didn't know Prime would only work up to a total of 1.00 PPM, that's good to know!!! I did indeed do a bit over double the dose so it should be good until tomorrow's water change. Fingers crossed!

erhwho

Sounds like a good plan. Yes removing iffy plant will help avoid more ammonia from decay. You're doing it right.

Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Sick Dojo, bacterial?
Replies
Views
Sarah Kim
Replies
Views
Susibug
  • Question
Replies