Need Help Quick

chipster55

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Points
178
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hope someone can help. My readings in tank were Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5 before a 20% water change. After change readins were ammonia .5, nitrite 0, nitrate-5. I lost 4 fish overnight and one is struggling now. I checked the water source (which I have used in the past with no problems) and the ammonia readings 1.0. I tested it twice. Is this normal to have ammonia in drinking water and if so what should I do now. I am getting ready to do another water change but it won't lower ammonia levels. I have zeolite pads for filter...Would they help with this amount of ammonia. Thanks
 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
37
Points
358
Experience
5 years
Well, if your tap water has ammonia, obviously you have added the ammonia to your tank with the water change. I have never heard of ammonia in tap water though - very strange. What test kit do you have? If indeed your tap water has ammonia, maybe you should look for a water conditioner that removes ammonia from the water? It really is puzzling ???
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
During the summer in our community where the farmers irrigate and use anhydrous ammonia and other fertilizers and the ground waters go crazy I cannot use the tap water and have to buy BOTTLED SPRING WATER - not distilled or drinking water. It is the best thing to get rid of tainted tap water as the chemical alternatives are too hard to control. Sometimes you will have one reading and sometimes another. Yes, I know it is more expensive, but so are your fish. I pay $1.92 for 3 gallons and have 5 tanks going right now (2.5 gallon, 3 gallon, and 3 - 5 gallon) and I do bi-weekly changes. It is worth it to keep the fish healthy. This is just my solution.

Rose
 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
37
Points
358
Experience
5 years
When I had only one 10 gallon tank, I performed water changes using bottled water too. My fish did very well in it. But now that I have a total of 40 gallons of water (10 gallon tank + 30 gallon tank), and that I perform 50% water changes twice a week in my 30 gallon tank, I use dechlorinated tap water. Thanks God I never had any ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in my tap water - and I hope it will stay this way.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

chipster55

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Points
178
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for alll your suggestions. I use aquarium pharmaceuticals test kit. I also phoned local water company and they said there is a small amount of ammonia in water which I find hard to believe. I now have a call into the local health dept. I did another water change and used bottled water...I'll let you know if I get an answer from health dept. Thanks
 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
37
Points
358
Experience
5 years
What of those in your area, Chipster, who drink tap water? I don't really think drinking ammonia is safe! It's scary, isn't it? Supposedly, New York water is one of the best in the U.S., but even so, I never drink tap water. I always drink bottled water, and even when I want to make myself some tea, I fill the teapot with bottled water (I don't think chlorine can be removed by heating water, can it?). You never know what your tap water may be loaded with - it certainly IS loaded with chemicals.
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is so unfortunate here. Usually it is a very good thing to have well water so you do not need to use chemicals. In this area, folks that have well water are so near the fields that the Nitrate levels and Ammonia is so high that they have to use Bottled water all the time or they would suffer from heart problems and the ones who are unlucky enough to have had heart problems couldn't drink it or it would kill them. It is horrible. It does drop some in the winter and the city water is better by far in the winter and they are able to get it good enough for me to treat the stuff out of the tap water but forget using it in the summer. I am wondering if I didn't use it too long this year and that is why I have had some health problems with a couple of the fish.

I wish I could afford to use bottled water year round.

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

chipster55

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Points
178
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from our water. But it sure is strange getting the ammonia readings...I'm thinking like you...Is water safe with any ammonia readings??..I will let you know what health dept says..........
 

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Points
176
In our region, we never use tap water, as it spells so bad. Anyone can say that it contains a lot of chemicals just by smelling it. Mainly, the corporation adds chlorine inorder to get rid the germs from the water..

I always use Well water for my aquariums..
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would appreciate hearing what they say as our health department does not encourage drinking it if there are certain health problems present but does not seem too concerned about it if there is not a health problem to begin with, but we all know the fish are very sensitive to it, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

chipster55

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Points
178
Experience
5 to 10 years
Apparently our water system uses ammonia with cloramine mixture for drinking water. Health dept did say there would be traces of ammonia but she did not know what reading was..She is going to get back to me...To be continued

PS Fish are now doing well again
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you by chance have a really GOOD fish store around in your city that would use the same water supply, you may try asking them if they have had a problem and what they do. I for one would not use any water in the tank that has ammonia intentionally added to it. (not sure I could drink it either )

Rose
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom