Need Help Plz

Alli

Reaction score
hello!! My names Alli and I’ve been a proud owner of four angelfish the last 8 months. About a month ago all four became extremely lethargic and sick after a water change. They were showing signs of a fungus infection so I immediately began treatment for it but sadly the treatment stressed my fish out more. They began showing signs of what I thought to be septicemia or some other bacterial infection. The vein along their tail fins was bright red and so were their eyes. I did an 8 day treatment of antibiotics which got three of them to not be as lethargic and begin to be interest in food again. Their bright red veins went down significantly but one is still not interested in food and is lethargic, and all four have red in their eyes that hasn’t gone away. I was wondering if this could be a sign for a different kind of infection or if I shouldn’t worry. They also suffered from their slime layer peeling off and tail rot but that to my knowledge is way under control now. Another concern is my water (I do a half water change everyday because after a few day break I’m doing another round of antibiotics and the bottle suggests a half water change every 24 hrs) it still stinks very bad and was wondering what this could mean as well. Lastly, one of my angelfish (the one that’s been considerably the least sick but still sick nonetheless) once he started eating daily his stomach has began to bulge. I felt since I got him that he might actually be a girl and she’s also showing signs of extreme aggression as well. I’m concerned for her health and any insight would be appreciated.

I sadly haven’t gotten my hands on any pH testers nitrates testers or ammonia testers but I’m assuming because of my lack of responsibility that not testing my water has caused this. I plan on going to my local pet store to pick some up ASAP!! Also I do have medium in my filter and have through out the whole antibiotic process. Is this okay?? I haven’t found any replicable source saying whether or not I should keep medium in the filter when medication is in the water (mainly the antibiotic)

Lastly I hope I explained this well and if any pictures are needed of my fish let me know!!

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What antibotics specifically where you using?

All though not ideal, fish stores might be willing to test your water for you for free and tell you what those levels are. I highly recommend this.

Red being anywhere to me suggests ammonia poisoning, could be wrong. Photos of the fish would be best.

The fish could be conspitated. This happens sometimes.

How large is the tank?

Do you add anything when you are doing water changes? Primers, conditioners, etc?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi @Alli , Welcome to FishLore!

In your profile it says you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle (clicking on words will take you to an article explaining it, please take the time to read up on it, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.) In an uncycled tank, fish become exposed to ammonia and nitrites which are extremely toxic to them. If the elevated ammonia and/or nitrite levels do not kill the fish, it can weaken their immune system and they are very susceptible to disease.

So the first thing I would recommend is to get yourself and API Master Test Kit for Freshwater. It is a bit pricey, but it is very accurate as opposed to test strips which are notorious for being inaccurate (and what good are test results if you can't trust them). Plus with the API kit, you can test hundreds of times before you run out of the reagents. So in the long run, it is cheaper than buying strips anyway.

Once you get your water tested, post your results and myself or another member will be able to give you guidance on a path forward.

You may also have some other issues. What size is the tank you have these Angel fish in? Also what filter does the tank have?

I've never kept Angel fish, but from what I understand you may have problems with multiple Angels in the same tank...especially of two of them pair up and spawn. Once they pair up and spawn, they become intolerant of other Angel fish and will kill of the others. I think I'm correct about this, but if not hopefully someone will correct me. I know @bizaliz3 is pretty knowledgeable about Angel fish so maybe she will see this and be able to help you out.

Best of luck!

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore. I second what was said above. Once angelfish hit sexual maturity they know to get to be very aggressive with others of their species. I have a single angel in a community tank who has become a bully. Fin rot is often fixed with very clean water. Very glad you are going to get a water testing kit. That will give you much more information to work with.

Alli

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of your responses!! Sadly I woke up this morning to three dead fish and one still alive. I’ve gotten testing strips but sadly not the API ones because my local pet store didn’t have any in stock. There amonnia (nitrite) was very high, pH was under control and the hardness of water was extremely bad (due to the tap water) the one fish that’s alive has been taken out of the tank with dead fish and put in a quarantine like tank with 1/4 old water (I did this because of the sudden transition from tank to tank) and 3/4 new conditioned water. Sully is her name and I have provided pictures of her. I’m curious to hear about what you guys think about the reflective areas on her body because those have been there since all my fish have gotten sick, but never spread to my now dead fish (even in death they have no sign of them.

I would love to hear any kind of suggestion on where to go from here and what my remaining fish may be sick with. Please I love my fish so much and have always done my best to care for them so their deaths are extremely devastating.

Attachments

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So sorry to hear this. Her poor gill area looks so red! You know that ammonia & nitrites are not the same right (not sure why you
put it on brackets)? The ammonia in the tank was high? What is the ammonia on your source water? Don’t worry about hard water right now... least of your worries.

So - basics - I would vote for 50% water changes daily. What size is your tank? @bizaliz3 do you have any special I’ll angel insight?

Alli

Reaction score
Mom2some said:
So sorry to hear this. Her poor gill area looks so red! You know that ammonia & nitrites are not the same right (not sure why you
put it on brackets)? The ammonia in the tank was high? What is the ammonia on your source water? Don’t worry about hard water right now... least of your worries.

So - basics - I would vote for 50% water changes daily. What size is your tank? @bizaliz3 do you have any special I’ll angel insight?
Hello!!
I meant to say that the nitrites are high not the ammonia that was my bad!! He’s also a blushing panda angel so his gill area is supposed to be red. I did a 50% water change the day before the fatality of my other three fish. I didn’t do the water any differently then I normally do so I don’t believe there is any correlation between the death of my fish and the water change I did. Thanks for the insight!! Currently my one fish is in my 5 gallon because due to the death of my fish I had too clean my 10 gallon

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome and sorry about your tank problems

the advice you've been given above is very solid. i'm surprised your nitrites are high after 8 months. did i read that correctly? but i see in another post you said there was a tank transition at some stage? did you transfer over your filter and filter media at that stage? if not, that could be the issue here..

first plan: get the API freshwater master test kit. you can get it on amazon.
then, while you're waiting for it, water changes as you've been advised above and as you've been doing.
last comment - you said your tap water is hard. you are sure to dechlorinate (condition) your new water from the tap as you add it with water changes, right? if so, don't worry about having hard water as long as it's not super chlorinated or has something like sulfur/copper in it.

i hope this helps!

ps: if you were medicating without removing the carbon in your filter, the medication won't work as someone else said, but the bigger problem is your nitrites so let's not get stuck on that. let's get your water quality improved and try to save your fish

Alli

Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
Welcome and sorry about your tank problems

the advice you've been given above is very solid. i'm surprised your nitrites are high after 8 months. did i read that correctly? but i see in another post you said there was a tank transition at some stage? did you transfer over your filter and filter media at that stage? if not, that could be the issue here..

first plan: get the API freshwater master test kit. you can get it on amazon.
then, while you're waiting for it, water changes as you've been advised above and as you've been doing.
last comment - you said your tap water is hard. you are sure to dechlorinate (condition) your new water from the tap as you add it with water changes, right? if so, don't worry about having hard water as long as it's not super chlorinated or has something like sulfur/copper in it.

i hope this helps!

ps: if you were medicating without removing the carbon in your filter, the medication won't work as someone else said, but the bigger problem is your nitrites so let's not get stuck on that. let's get your water quality improved and try to save your fish
Thanks so much!! I will definitely start doing half water changes and order that kit!! Also the water where I am which is Wyoming contains a lot of calcium and other minerals not found in a lot of tap water which is why I’m concerned. I’m thinking about switching over to reverse osmosis water or getting a water softer medium for water changes.

I’m going to provide better quality photos of my remaining fish because I’m not sure what’s wrong with his scales. It looks like it may possibly be ich but I’m not 100% sure!

Attachments

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you have calcium in your water that is actually normally good for fish (depending on the levels). Once we get through this, you may want to get an API kH/gH testing kit to see what levels your water is at. So don't stress about that

Alli

Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
If you have calcium in your water that is actually normally good for fish (depending on the levels). Once we get through this, you may want to get an API kH/gH testing kit to see what levels your water is at. So don't stress about that
Will do!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom