Need Help Please!

scolwell19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello all. So to start out I had to relocate my aquarium upstairs so I could finish framing my basement. It took me less than an hour to put about 30 gallons of water in buckets and fill the tank back upstairs filling the other 30 or so gallons with water from the tap like normal. BUT... I forgot to add chlorine remover immediately and I think it may have damaged the bacteria in the filter. My wife called me at work saying the fish were all swimming at the top of tank gasping for air. I took off from work and after testing the water and finding a huge amount of nitrite i did a 75% water change. I retested the water after the change and the nitrite is still off the charts. Is there anything I can do at this point to help my guys out. I put in an maidstone and aquarium salt. Ammonia is reading between 0 and .25 nitrite is off the charts showing dark purple (api test kit) and nitrate is 5-10. If anyone has anything that can help it would be deeply appreciated.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
Get yourself a bottle of Prime if you don't already have one and dose 5x the recommended dose when you have high nitrates. Hope this helps.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep changing the water. Big chanhes twice a day.

You can use those miracles in a bottle too, but the sure method is to keep changing the water..

Sometimes when you have a problem like this with a tank is necessary to do big water changes day after day until the necessary bacteria blooms.

scolwell19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ulu said:
Keep changing the water. Big chanhes twice a day.

You can use those miracles in a bottle too, but the sure method is to keep changing the water..

Sometimes when you have a problem like this with a tank is necessary to do big water changes day after day until the necessary bacteria blooms.
I have just started my second water change now. Will do another 50% I will continue to do the water changes every day until it stabilizes I'm just hoping my fish can pull through it. Thanks for the reply!!

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
scolwell19 said:
I have just started my second water change now. Will do another 50% I will continue to do the water changes every day until it stabilizes I'm just hoping my fish can pull through it. Thanks for the reply!!
Good luck, how are your fish doing now?

scolwell19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Axman01 said:
Good luck, how are your fish doing now?
They look ok. They are swimming through airstones being **** to each other like normal Haha. I'm gonna hold off on feeding for a day or so I think. But they are all active.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom