Need Help Please, Where To Rehome Fish?

HelloJello

Reaction score
I have a 25 G tank with 1 medium sized Common Goldfish, 1 Bala Shark and 13 mystery snails. They're all doing good but I'm moving soon and I will not be in a place of my own where I can have them. I love them but sadly no one I know is willing to take care of them for me. I'm in Los Angeles. Anyone know where I can take them to give these guys a good home please let me now! I only have one week left, everything was way too sudden!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
HelloJello

HelloJello

Reaction score
I
Most pet stores, even the big chains, will take your fish as an adoption. They won’t give you money for them but at least you know they will be going to a good home.
I've checked with the stores closest to me and they all said No, I don't trust Petco or Petsmart but I will keep checking, thank you! I don't care about the money I just don't want them to die

They have phone numbers listed. They sound like paid membership clubs but some will help you find a home among their members.
Ok thank you for your help!!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 25 G tank with 1 medium sized Common Goldfish, 1 Bala Shark and 13 mystery snails. They're all doing good but I'm moving soon and I will not be in a place of my own where I can have them. I love them but sadly no one I know is willing to take care of them for me. I'm in Los Angeles. Anyone know where I can take them to give these guys a good home please let me now! I only have one week left, everything was way too sudden!
In all honestly, a 25 gallon is way way WAY too small for a goldfish or bala shark. Also, goldfish are cold water fish and balas are tropical fish.

I am not saying this to judge or make you feel bad!!! I am only saying this to point out, that while you love these fish and don't want to have to part with them...having to get rid of them may end up being better for them in the end, if 25 gallons is all you could provide them. Hopefully they will both end up in more appropriate sized tanks in their new homes.

Do you have any mom and pop fish stores? Like not a chain like petco or petsmart? They almost always take in fish. In my experience. I have several around me.

Also, as stated, craigslist is a good choice. I have sold and rehomed several fish using craigslist.

Also, search for LOCAL fish groups on facebook. Post them there.

Good luck!!

OP
HelloJello

HelloJello

Reaction score
In all honestly, a 25 gallon is way way WAY too small for a goldfish or bala shark. Also, goldfish are cold water fish and balas are tropical fish.

I am not saying this to judge or make you feel bad!!! I am only saying this to point out, that while you love these fish and don't want to have to part with them...having to get rid of them may end up being better for them in the end, if 25 gallons is all you could provide them. Hopefully they will both end up in more appropriate sized tanks in their new homes.

Do you have any mom and pop fish stores? Like not a chain like petco or petsmart? They almost always take in fish. In my experience. I have several around me.

Also, as stated, craigslist is a good choice. I have sold and rehomed several fish using craigslist.

Also, search for LOCAL fish groups on facebook. Post them there.

Good luck!!
In the long run I would need a bigger tank as they grow but they're small right now and a 25 G is perfect for them NOW. I was planning on getting a bigger tank but circumstances won't allow it. That's why I'm rehoming. I tried with my lfs but sadly they said no, they're reason was not having a place for them. I have to keep checking, not giving up till I find them a good home!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In the long run I would need a bigger tank as they grow but they're small right now and a 25 G is perfect for them NOW. I was planning on getting a bigger tank but circumstances won't allow it. That's why I'm rehoming. I tried with my lfs but sadly they said no, they're reason was not having a place for them. I have to keep checking, not giving up till I find them a good home!
I am so sorry you are unable to upgrade for them and keep them in your care :-( that is always sad when we have to part with fish we love. :-(

One bit of advice, when I list fish on craigslist, I include the words "aquarium" and "fish tank" in the title of the listing. So that anyone who is searching for a used tank will stumble across them.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom