Need Help! One Cory Dead, Others In Distress

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Gen120, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Gen120

Gen120Valued MemberMember

Okay, so this am when I turned my tank light on, one cory was dead & the other 2 are in distress, breathing rapidly. The water parameters are all good, I just checked them on Thursday. (-6th of this month). I don't know what's going on & I certainly don't want to loose my other 2. The catfish are my favorite. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

2. wem21

wem21Well Known MemberMember

I would suggest to do a water change ASAP. Apart from that, im not too sure. Ill call the gods. @CindiL @TexasDomer, i summon thee

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Just in case, what is your tank pH and temperature etc.? How long ago did you get these catfish? What other stock is in the tank? Any new additions to the tank?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

It's possible for ammonia or nitrite to be high even though they tested OK Thursday. Somewhat unlikely but not impossible. However, with the dead fish in the water for sometime we wouldn't be able to tell if ammonia was the cause or effect.

A pH or kH test could still yield meaningful information though.

6. OP
    OP
    Gen120

I'm going to loose all 3 apparently, I have no idea why they are sick. They haven't moved in hours & are breathing really rapidly. I hate to see them suffer, I am a huge animal Lover. What can I do, if anything to put them out of their misery? :( I am so sad about them.

Thank you to all of you for your help & advice.

20 gallon tank. Temperature is okay for all 3 species. 3 danios, & 3 red finned tetras.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  7. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Fish can be brought back from respiratory distress. Have you done a big, slow water change? Do you have access to bottled oxygen or an oxygen concentrator?

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Please list the numbers of the water tests. If they can not be saved use clove-oil.

But it sounds like one of three things:

1. Ammonia poisining. The reading should be zero. Corys are very sensitive to it.

2. Low O2 in the water. What is the water temp? The higher the temp the less O2 it holds in suspension.

3. Outside contaminants. Has any aerosol spray products been used anywhere in the house a few days before the trouble started?

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

4 Parasites like cilicates

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I did miss that one. Thank you :)

11. TexasDomer

Most people don't have access to bottled oxygen or an oxygen concentrator, and it really shouldn't be necessary here either. Can you please list exact water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

12. OP
    OP
    Gen120

Well they all died unfortunately. :(

I will list the parameters in the morning, I'm headed to bed soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    Gen120

Ummm... I have no idea why but the temperature is like 86f... its about 75 in the house so it should be around that temp, correct? Was it too warm for them? Please tell me it didn't cook them to death... the temperature is usually about 70ish most days & the heater is currently off right now.

14. OP
    OP
    Gen120

The water is 95... why?!!!! I am saddened & shocked! It wasn't that way yesterday. I unplugged my heater & added several gallons of cool water slowly to the tank. What else should I do? :(

15. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

What kind of heater do you have? Maybe it malfunctioned.

16. FlutterFish

FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Agreeing with clk89 above, I've known the Tetra Submersibles to malfunction a lot.

Sorry for your loss :(

17. OP
    OP
    Gen120

It's okay. The heater is a tetra 100w preset one... :/

18. TexasDomer