Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Help On Betta Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Obama.com, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Obama.comValued MemberMember

I'm planning on breeding my bettas this summer and just wanted to make sure I knew enough. Any ideas or suggestions that are essential to know?

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Research constantly, feed mainly live foods for the first few months. Cull any fry that have poor body/fin shape or you will be stuck with lots of bettas that don’t look too nice.

Use bettas that already have good genes so you won’t have to cull as many. Lots of daily water changes.

3. Obama.comValued MemberMember

H
    How do you know if they have good genes

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Getting them from a breeder/importer is one way. Also knowing what to look for in body and fin form. Do you know what sort of fin type you want to breed for?

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

What kind are you thinking about breeding? Splendens? (Is that how you spell it, lol?)

6. Obama.comValued MemberMember

The male I have is from a breeder while the female is from Petco, she s a rare gem that's for sure. They both look like half moons. (Female is red, male is cello) Male is I believe 3 or 4 months old while the female I have no idea, any guesses? IMG_20190307_201343.jpgIMG_20190218_173315.jpgIMG_20190307_201431_1.jpgIMG_20190218_181355.jpg

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Well, it'll be interesting to see what kind of babies you end up with, that's for sure!
    Just because I'm not sure where exactly to help, do you want to run through your plan and we'll give advice?

8. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

They both do appear to be HM and their body forms don’t look bad to me. The female doesn’t look older than a year but that’s all I can guess age wise. The male seems pretty young judging from the short tail compared to the other fins.

9. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

I think the male is really good looking. I wonder if the red colour will end up being more dominant

just make sure you're ready to take on all those babies and have an idea of where to sell them. I bet if you join a betta sorority group they would happily take a bunch of young sisters to raise together

10. Obama.comValued MemberMember

They have betta sorority groups somewhere? Haha. I'm planning on giving to friends, family, and also online selling. And of course, keeping those I like the most. I've seen people do well selling bettas online.

11. Obama.comValued MemberMember

Yeah he's still young. How old do a pair have to be to breed? Or recommended

12. Obama.comValued MemberMember

I'm planning on keeping the breeding tank outside in my shed since it should be around 70's-80's summer in (not sure if i would need a heater if i leave it outside) utah, if not, inside with a heater. 10 gallon most likely, sponge filter, cut styrofoam cup for the bubble nest, not sure if I do need a plant and floating plant but most likely, planning on getting live vinegar eels from someone nearby online and most likely microworms as well, if the baby bettas will eat that. I don't know much about infusoria but I wouldn't mind starting a colony if needed. I've heard you can get instant baby brine shrimp but not sure. My only thing I really need to know is getting food for the fry.

13. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

When you buy a betta from a store, like petco, they are generally around 6 months old or older.

14. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I wasn't getting alerts for this thread, sorry.
    Microworms will work for the first few days, but after that you'll need brine shrimp. Live daphnia too if you can swing that, but they're not necessary. I don't think instant BBS works, I though that was just dehydrated brine shrimp, they don't hatch out alive.

15. Obama.comValued MemberMember

Can the brine shrimp be those frozen ones? Or do you have to find live ones? I haven't been able to find any live brine shrimp so any ideas? I was also thinking of making my own infusoria, but is that necessary?

16. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Has to be live, they won't eat static (non motile) food for the first month or so of life. You won't find them in stores, you'll have to set up a hatchery and buy eggs and hatch them out yourself. Infusoria will only last the first 2-4 days, you'll need brine shrimp for the rest of the month.
    The hatchery is really easy, just get some pickling salt, baking soda, rinse out an old soda bottle, flip it upside down and cut off the bottom, add the salt, a bubbler (just airline tubing), and then the eggs.

17. SaraCooperValued MemberMember