Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Help New Here And First Time Fish Owner

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by DarionNguyen, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

Hello guys!
    So I’m darion and I decided to join this forum to get some insight. So basically I’m a first time owner besides being a 5 year old at a fair winning a fish in a game. Long story short I went to my local pet shop not knowing the troubles and care needed for fish mind me I’ve never looked into it before so don’t kill me :( Long story short the guy at the pet shop told me good fish would be the best to get without having a tank setup. Mind you I knew about filters etc but never knew they were necessities, yes I believed just a tank some sink water and you’re good. Now doing further research I know but I’m a bit too late. Long story short he told me goldfish were the go to and that I can use this tank (pics attached) and it would comfortably home 3. Now I know CRAZY RIGHT but I didn’t know that til now. I now have a 10 gallon with filter air pump etc still not good enough for goldfish as I have read you need 20 G for 1. I believe my fish are stressed due to the small living space so I need some advice. Do you guys think I should take them into another local shop and possibly trade them in for another species or even just donate and purchase a better fish for my space, or just give them time to adjust to the n (I can not fit anything more than 10G). I am new to the fish parenting scene but I tell you I’m hooked and I love it already please help me :( :(

Attached Files:

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Well, I'm assuming you can't get a ~55 gallon tank to hold all three of them right now so yes, the best thing you can do is take them back. Though right now since they're so small I don't think they're cramped, I was in the same place as you once but with 4 common goldfish in a 10g. They held out for a year until the innevetable happened.
    Can you also read this for me: Nitrogen Cycle
    I'd start by changing out 5 gallons of water a day and using Seachem prime, dosing the whole tank with it

4. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

So you’re saying pour the whole bottle of conditioner while doing water changes? And I read the article and watched the video

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

For the conditioner its only a couple drops to treat the whole tank .

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Not exactly, just dose for 10 gallons every water change. What water conditioner do you have at the moment? If it's not prime I would highly recommend going to get a bottle of it as soon as you can, that and a way to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

7. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

Yes tomorrow morning I will get the whole test kit I have 2 kinds of conditioner but not prime

8. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Way to act fast in this, lots of people wait a few days and things get worse. You've already got a check in my book.
    Do you know what kind of conditioners you have or the names of them?

9. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

I have NovAqua and Aqueon

10. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

UPDATE just purchased Prime Conditioner and Stabilizer a gravel vac and master test kit gonna do water change and all that in a hour

11. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

12. DarionNguyenNew MemberMember

Yes