Need help measuring Equilibrium to my 5 gallon tank.

Sophie1972

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there,

My Betta has a 5 gallon tank and I have to add Equilibrium to it to raise the GH.

The GH level is at 2dgh (I don't think that's the correct abbreviation but anyway.....).
Basically within 2 drops of the GH solution the tank water in the test tube turned green. I have been told that this is a low reading for GH.

So, I have to raise it and need help measuring how much Equilibrium to put into my 5 gallon tank. The directions on the bottle say, 1tbsp per 20 gallons. I am horrible at mental math and need help.

Best Answer - View Heron's answer

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not an expert on Bettas but from lots of reading I am thinking Bettas do well in soft water. Are you having trouble with keeping your PH stable? Hopefully others will chime in to help out but I'm wondering why you think you need to be adding Equilibrium.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are there live plants in the tank? If not then you really do not have to add it.
I am not that familiar with Betta fish though as I never had them

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add it gradually, Bettas don't need a particularly high GH, I wouldn't aim for much more than 5-6.
When you do water changes add enough to raise the GH in the new water only to 6. Over time the tank level will then gradually increase to the level in the water changes. You could add a little more to the new water to raise the tank quicker but once you get where you want reduce it so it doesn't rise higher.
Don't try to raise the GH by more than 1 unit in 24 hours, fish don't like sudden changes of chemistry.
If you use 1g per 5 liters of new water you should get somewhere near where you want. It's hard to say exactly because every tank is a bit different, trial and error, add some to water wait 30 mins to let it dissolve then test the water, if it's to low add some more.

OP
Sophie1972

Sophie1972

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the advice. I am so appreciative of it.

You guys are awesome. ✨
I do have other questions about my little Betta. He's got a white lump on his back fin and that's just a WHOLE other story and I have details and photos to share. He is also super cute!! I will post something tomorrow. Should I keep this thread going when I write my questions tomorrow or do I start a new topic? I am thinking new topic...right?

I do have live plants. I have a Java Fern, Hornwort and Anubias Nana.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With a smaller tank like that, it would be wise to source a couple 1mL plastic syringes with 0.1mL markings on it.

Good for dosing different things like meds, dechlorinator etc etc.

1 teaspoon = 5mL

1/4 teaspoon = 1.25 mL

I've try to have on hand 1mL and 5mL plastic syringes when I need to accurately dose something for our tanks.

New Threads