Need help keeping water temperature up without heater!

1. m

memetendo New Member Member

To begin, I have a school of 6 endlers in a 5 gallon tank that finished cycling close to a week ago. Normally it is kept at 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit, but as of recently I have needed to replace the old heater because the cable was cut. It was an aqeuon mini heater, 10 watts. I have not been able to go to my LFS for two days. For the most part, I have been relying on the warm weather that my area has been having to keep the temperature up, but today was a colder day, so my tank has gone down to 72 degrees. I can't go to the LFS until later today, but what can I do to keep the tank warm until then? Also, should I be using a different heater for my five gallon?
    Thank you to all who reply.

Also feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong place.

2. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Couldn't you just splice the one with the broken cut back together?

3. OP
    OP
    m

I wish I had thought of that sooner, but unfortunately, I threw out the heater yesterday because I figured it had no use to me.

4. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Well, that's unfortunate. Other than keeping your windows closed at night to keep in the inside temp from dropping, I'm not sure what else there is to do. If it dropped to only 72 I wouldn't worry about it too much Endlers have a preferred temp in the mid seventies, but they should be fine with temps as low as mid sixties. Below that is going to be a point of worry.

5. octavio

octavio Valued Member Member

I keep the overflow of guppies (it seems I can never get rid of them) in my outdoor lily and lotus ponds. I live in Las Vegas and the guppies never have a problem when the water temperature drops to 55 degrees. Of course, it doesn't stay that low as the sun warms up the desert valley, but at night the temperature can easily drop 20-30 degrees. The guppies do fine. I have the exact opposite problem. When the temperatures get to 90+ degrees F and remain that way during our summers of triple-digit heat, well . . . very few fish can withstand those high temperatures. So, I have to put "chillers" in my ponds to cool down the water.

Your guppies should be fine until you can get another heater. Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks to all. I got to the LFS this afternoon and picked up a new heater. Everything is now going swimmingly.