180 Gallon Tank Need help - input/output placement & flow direction w/ dual FX6's

JoseyWales

Cool Forum !!! My first post/question of many to follow. I just scored on a 180 gallon acrylic, 6'x2'x2' foot print. Setup includes (2) FX6's & (2) power heads. It will be a freshwater tank with no live plants, only a few fake ones to compliment several fake rocks & fake driftwood.

How & where do I place both outputs and the flow direction of each dual nozzle ? There are already cutouts on the lid against the back of the tank for the outputs, about 12" in from each back corner. I can't seem to find any consistent answers after searching the web for hours. My initial thought was treat it like a swimming pool... all flow in the same direction to create centrifugal force ? Am I on the right track ?

2nd question: do I use the 2 powerheads for surface agitation or use one each of the dual output nozzle on each FX6 ? If one of the dual nozzles on each FX6 is best for surface agitation, where do I position the power heads or do I even need them ?

If it matters, the previous owner of the tank had only cichlids, with no plants and very few fake rocks. I plan on stocking with a HUGE school of 100 or more neon or black tetras and several different bottom feeders. I have to figure out center piece fish that won't eat the tetras.

I am stumped. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

A pic would help of the outlet holes and tank lid. Kinda confused on what you mean. Are the inlets built into the tank or separate hoses?

The power heads you may or may not need. You will have to see how much circulation comes from the 2 F6's.

Fisch

Wow, that will be a great setup. The Neons will appreciate the space

JoseyWales

After I re-read my post, I agree... confusing. Here you go. You have to blow the pic up to see the outputs at the top back of the tank. Sorry, no pics of lid, but there are 2 cut outs in it directly above the outputs.

Attachments

• IMG_5565.JPG
    IMG_5565.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    IMG_5564.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 29

Redviper

The possibilities with your setup are wide indeed. My setup (similar to yours, sort of) is configured to move as much water as possible, with comfort and a more natural water movement patterns for my stock. About 6-months ago I became obsessed with avoiding dead-spots in my 72-inch long tank. While my efforts are ongoing they've yielded great and unexpected benefits.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AmnScott
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
digitalsol
Replies