need help in identifying a fish Help

1. alobaba Initiate Member

hi guys, i recently got this fish from a friend of mine. i have no idea what kind it is and neither does he. was checking if any of u guys might know.its about 3 to 5 cm long,very thin and long.they seem to like hiding under the rocks in my aquarium.any ideas about what type of fish it is and any advice in taking care of it?

Attached Files:

2. KarenLM Well Known Member Member

It looks like a Siamese Flying Fox. They are algae eaters, grow to about 5" and mine does hide regularly. Liveaquaria has it listed under sharks, but it is related to minnows. The Flying Fox's black line continues onto the tail.

3. TankMaster25 Member Member

It looks like a zebra danio so don't put guppies cause he will nip at their fins and cause stress that can lead to death. Is that the only fish u have in the tank

Also it could be a Chinese or Siamese algae eater and need to have some type of algae to eat so I recommend 1 algae wafer for them. How long have you had your tank? What are the water conditions? Is your tank fully cycled?

4. alobaba Initiate Member

yea my tank is fully cycled. and i dont think its a zebra danio. it does look a lot like the siamese algae eater however the siamese algae eater's stripe is supposed to go horizontally all the way til the end of the tail. however with these ones the stripe reaches the tail and then goes up vertically.so im not really sure whether thats normal or if its just a different type of fish.

5. TankMaster25 Member Member

Since it is extremely close to a Siamese algae eater probably just a different type of Siamese algae eater but you should definitely get it checked by your LFS to tell you what it is, how to care for it (water quality etc.) and what fish go good with yours.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

It could also be a Flying Fox or a False Siamensis. They look similar. Does the black stripe extend through their tail fins? I have no experience with any of these species (except CAE and that's definitely not what you have) so hopefully someone else will be able to help with tips for their care. :) I know that they aren't "true algae eaters" (they'd rather flake food and pellets.. among other things) aside from the SAE.

These links have descriptions for all of them - CAE, False/SAE and a Flying Fox. Does yours fit any of the descriptions? Or is there any way you could take more photos or a video for us?

http://www.petresources.net/fish/article/sae.html

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It looks like a siamese algae eater but that black tail marking isn't right, & from the pics the nose doesn't look right either.
    Can you try & get a good clear side on pic?

8. slayer980 Member Member

I agree with celizabetth3. I was just at my lfs today and looking at the flying fox. Urs look alot like what I was looking at. And if I remember they can get to like 6 or 8 inches. I maybe wrong though. Im still new to fishkeeping. Only had my tank since feb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen these before but their I'd escapes me. It's nothing that has been mentioned so far. Some kind of goby or gudgeon? There aren't that many freshwater fish with double dorsal fins (or if not double then it's quite far back towards the tail).

10. alobaba Initiate Member

alright tanx guys.ill try getting some better pics of it and post it shortly

11. KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I didn't notice that. It does look different at the tail; and the stripe doesn't seem to go past the eyes either. My Flying Fox has the line right to the tip of his nose.

12. Crissandra331 Member Member

13. celizabethh3 Member Member

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/south-american-cichlids/striped-pike-cichlid/100139.asp

Almost looks like him, but I'm stumped because they are huge! Reminds me of a cichlid too though. I'll keep looking. ;)

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Can I put one of these pictures on another forum? I'm sure you'll get a positive I'd there.

15. alobaba Initiate Member

yea sure hampalong, go ahead. here are a few more pics,hope it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. celizabethh3 Member Member

I don't think it's any sort of algae eaters previously mentioned based on the recent pictures. What part of the tank (top, bottom) is it usually swimming around?

17. alobaba Initiate Member

it mainly stays at the bottom of the tank.they seem to like hiding under the rocks in my tank,they burrow into the gravel and hide underneath the rocks,kinda like an eel.

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The good news.... they are Parioglossus, probably P. rainfordi.

The bad news... they are brackish/marine, from tidal coastal mangroves and reefs. They probably won't last long in freshwater.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/17484

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

****Threads merged. Duplicate posts removed*****

It's only necessary to start one thread for a question.