Need help in Algae control (beginner)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SonsOfGuppies, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SonsOfGuppies

SonsOfGuppies Valued Member Member

I have run my fish tank for 7 1/2 months already, and i keep experiencing algae bloom. I am running a low tech Planted tank (dosed regularly with excel and less than half recommended dose of ferts).

So far i know Light intensity and duration, feeding amount and frequency, and water changes affect the way algae bloom.

I'm running 2 T5 light bulbs, with one 16w LED. I tried reducing light up to 11 1/2 hours. I kept both on since if one is off, the tank looks dimmer. Lights on at 9:00am and off at 8:00pm (sun goes up at 6am in my place)

My Tank is close to the window, but it is curtained with an extra covering

I reduced feeding frequency so feeding goes once every 2 to 3 days.

I tried changing 50% of the water before but the algae keep growing back.

I haven't seen a day with very little algae.

I don't think scrubbing the glass wall is a good idea. It turns the water greener.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

This article is also helpful and there are pictures and explanations on how to deal with green water:

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a bit of an algae problem as well. This may not be the best solution but when I started seeing that I had such an algae issue I picked up 3 nerites. The nerite snails did an excellent job of cleaning my ornaments but they rarely cleaned the glass. I picked up a few oto's and now I still have algae from time to time but between the nerites, otos, and a stringent lighting schedule, it's not a huge ordeal anymore.

If you do have to scrub the glass, the mag float works pretty well.

5. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

100% agree on the Mag Float. I only clean the front glass once per week with it and leave the other three sides for the Nerites and BNPlecos to enjoy.

6. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I love my mag float too. I clean the front and sides every few days it is so easy but I am leaving the back with some green algae for the snails and mollies. Also, I have read if you leave algae somewhere in your tank it tends not to take over other areas.

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Cut the lighting to 6 of 7 hours a day and that should help a lot. 11 1/2 hours a day is a lot.

Also if you have green water, a UV sterilizer will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice