Need help identifying what color this is

• Thread starter Nourhanateout22
  • Start date

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
5 to me.

Nourhanateout22

Feohw said:
Okay cool that is what I thought as well. Do you know if its normal for "preconditioned aquarium water" to show up as 0 ppm in nitrates? In comparison to my tap which is 10 ppm in nitrates.

Ebreus

Well Known
Looks like 20ppm to me but there's a lot that could go into screwing with color quality between taking the pic and it being displayed on my screen. Always default to the worst outcome it could reasonably be when you can't tell... I lost a few guppies not doing that.

I found the best way to check is to set the color key flat and pop the cap off of the vial then look down through the vial at the white between the colors. You can then slowly move the vial over a color for comparison. Though I use larger vials where I can see in a bit better (still use the same volume but it's easier for me to work with larger vials).

Edit: I'll note that the API kits tend to have me wondering if I'm partially colorblind as I have a hard time with a few of the color distinctions.

Nourhanateout22

Ebreus said:
Looks like 20ppm to me but there's a lot that could go into screwing with color quality between taking the pic and it being displayed on my screen. Always default to the worst outcome it could reasonably be when you can't tell... I lost a few guppies not doing that.

I found the best way to check is to set the color key flat and pop the cap off of the vial then look down through the vial at the white between the colors. You can then slowly move the vial over a color for comparison. Though I use larger vials where I can see in a bit better (still use the same volume but it's easier for me to work with larger vials).

Edit: I'll note that the API kits tend to have me wondering if I'm partially colorblind as I have a hard time with a few of the color distinctions.
I'm redoing the nitrate test as we speak and using this method.

Nourhanateout22

Nourhanateout22 said:
I'm redoing the nitrate test as we speak and using this method.
I just redid test, its strange from outside it looks like orange but when i uncap tube it looks darker orange. I also can't really see through the test tube compare the color :(

Nourhanateout22

Ebreus

Well Known
Nourhanateout22 said:
I just redid test, its strange from outside it looks like orange but when i uncap tube it looks darker orange. I also can't really see through the test tube compare the color :(
Oof, might just be the larger tubes I have that let me see through then. They were a simple set of 6 glass testtubes I got off Amazon for like $10. I got them because I managed to break a few of the ones that came with the kit, was looking for comparable size but there weren't any that weren't significantly larger.

A tip for measurement using tubes that aren't marked: Go to your local pharmacy and ask for a syringe of the appropriate size. I was a bit nervous asking for one but it was to fuss about it and surprisingly no charge for one.

Nourhanateout22

Ebreus said:
Oof, might just be the larger tubes I have that let me see through then. They were a simple set of 6 glass testtubes I got off Amazon for like $10
I'll do another test and show it to my petsmart manager tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Its confusing identifying between 10 ppm and 20 ppm. From outside it actually looked like 5 ppm but when i took off cap and looked down, it looked much darker which confused me. Man api lol, all the other colors were easy just having trouble identifying nitrates

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
The test should be read in good lighting, the colour should be well lit for you to tell what it is. In the picture you provided, the only well lit part is at the bottom of the first picture. That looks bright orange to me, so I would still say 5.
Nourhanateout22 said:
Will the test tube maintain its color if i keep it and show it to my petsmart manager tomorrow?
I have had my test that read as 5ppm sitting on my tanks lid for a month. It still reads the same result. To be sure, I would bring a sample of your water and the test bottles with you tomorrow, and either test it yourself while there or have them test it.

Nourhanateout22

Feohw said:
The test should be read in good lighting, the colour should be well lit for you to tell what it is. In the picture you provided, the only well lit part is at the bottom of the first picture. That looks bright orange to me, so I would still say 5.

I have had my test that read as 5ppm sitting on my tanks lid for a month. It still reads the same result. To be sure, I would bring a sample of your water and the test bottles with you tomorrow, and either test it yourself while there or have them test it.
Okay thanks, will do

Top Bottom