Need Help Identifying Unknow Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by baileyco, Apr 9, 2017.

1. baileyco

baileyco New Member Member

Hi guys!! I need some information on the snails I just purchased from my local pet store. The tag said "mystery snails" but I'm a little confused on what exactly that means. Are mystery snails their own breed? Or are they LITERALLY mystery snails (as in unknown). I've compared them to pictures and taken my own (which i will attach) and the smaller one looks like an assassin snail and the striped one looks like a nerite/zebra (is that the same thing?) But I want to make sure my possible assassin won't kill my nerite. Thank yall!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure the second one is an assassin snail. If it is it will kill other snails.

3. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

#1 is a netrite snail, #2 is an assassin snail. I'd return them if you can. There is a possibility of the assassin killing the netrite.

4. OP
    OP
    baileyco

return both of them? not just the assassin? Which one would be a better algae eater? (i don't have a lot of algae)

5. B

The netrite is a good algae eater.

I suggested returning them both due to the fact that at my Petco, netrites are cheaper than mystery snails. At my local Petco netrites are between $2.00-2.50 and mystery snails sell for $4. But if you like the netrite, of course keep it!

6. OP
    OP
    baileyco

Oh okay! Thanks so much. I actually have another question that just came up. I'm watching my nerite on my glass (he's a quick lil dude) and now there is something hanging off of it?? Please tell me these aren't eggs

Attached Files:

7. B

Nope, looks like poop. lol
    Their eggs aren't fertile in freshwater, either way. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice