Need help identifying this plant

devsi

For some reason I bought this plant and didn't bother to note down what it is. It is, by far, the best growing plant in my tanks and I'm curious what it is :)

Thanks in advance!

1660665694787.png

JustAFishServant

H. or Hygrophila polysperma. I accidentally grew it in a tank from seeds and it's thrived since. But mine is mostly grown floating and has bright red or pink leaves (it's possibly the 'Sunset' variety. I don't know for sure though.) It's an amazing plant isn't it? There's a reason it's considered a "weed" in the wild ;)

devsi

H. or Hygrophila polysperma. I accidentally grew it in a tank from seeds and it's thrived since.
Ah yes!! That's the one! I even found the eBay listing I purchased it from!

Thank you :)
But mine is mostly grown floating and has bright red or pink leaves (it's possibly the 'Sunset' variety. I don't know for sure though.)
Ah well now I'm jealous!
It's an amazing plant isn't it? There's a reason it's considered a "weed" in the wild ;)
It really is. I currently have it in four of five tanks, and it just thrives like nothing else. I took some cuttings and put them in my new 80L walstad last week, and they're already thriving.

JustAFishServant

Ah yes!! That's the one! I even found the eBay listing I purchased it from!
You're very welcome friend ;)
I currently have it in four of five tanks, and it just thrives like nothing else. I took some cuttings and put them in my new 80L walstad last week, and they're already thriving.
You'll always have that plant. It's very hardy (so much so that it did great in my goldfish tank) and it's not nearly as hard to care for as most stem plants :)

devsi

You're very welcome friend ;)
You're now my Hygrophila polysperma friend.

Alright, yeah, that was weird. It sounded better in my head. I'm keeping it so it gives you a chuckle (hopefully).
You'll always have that plant. It's very hardy (so much so that it did great in my goldfish tank) and it's not nearly as hard to care for as most stem plants :)
Seriously! I have crypts, swords, vals, sessiliflora limnophila, and god knows what else and nothing grows in my water as well as this plant!

I did just order some rotala rotundifolia, hoping that will also grow really well.

Redshark1

Its a superb plant. Don't lust after red leaves. The green of this plant is the brightest most luminous there is. Plants should be green as there are few green fish!

Attachments

• 18.12.15 Bristlenose Neon Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.jpg
    18.12.15 Bristlenose Neon Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 8

devsi

Its a superb plant. Don't lust after red leaves. The green of this plant is the brightest most luminous there is. Plants should be green as there are few green fish!

Oh yeah it is a lovely plant!

I notice in your picture yours are all quite short - is that done on purpose to create a sort of carpet?

TClare

This last grows well for me also, even in low light with just plain sand substrate. Never seen it go red though!

JustAFishServant

You're now my Hygrophila polysperma friend.

Alright, yeah, that was weird. It sounded better in my head. I'm keeping it so it gives you a chuckle (hopefully).
Nah, that sounded just fine to me :)
Seriously! I have crypts, swords, vals, sessiliflora limnophila, and god knows what else and nothing grows in my water as well as this plant!

I did just order some rotala rotundifolia, hoping that will also grow really well.
I feel you. You know Hygrophila difformis water wisteria? Alledgedly the easiest plant to grow. The two times I've bought it it died. I don't have good luck with that plant...

What's up with your water? I've heard most plants like slightly acidic yet hard-ish water but wisteria likes it harder. Maybe that's it?

I seem to have great luck with my newest dirted tanks. My first was a flop (but of course producing my favorite Hygrophila polysperma.) All I had was partial sunlight and a little bit of random soil under lots of gravel. That was only, say, 4-5 years ago. Since then I've become more serious in fishkeeping and although I've had flops some of my tanks seem to be doing okay now. But my most thriving aquarium is a 3 gallon cube tank for my 2.5-year-old betta (he's aging fast and a 10 gal would pose a threat - he's also the "family betta" and nobody wants a 10 outside of the fish room, aka my room.) I'll break it down:

-1.25" miracle gro potting soil layer with 0.5" black diamond blasting sand cap.
-Random low/med-light full spec LED (a friend moved and gave me their old betta with tank, anubias and the new LED. It's worked well for what I have in this tank.)
-2 large Anubias nana plants attached to a black lava rock via super glue gel (cyanoacrylate) that I've been growing for 2 years (5" long!)
-A small 2" java fern windelov from my huge 4-year-old mother plant which is also attached to a small black lava rock via super glue gel
-Pennywort and Lysimmachia nummularia background stem plants. The creeping jenny came from a pot meant to be planted outdoors (it's so much cheaper that way - $3 for a bunch instead of $6/bunch)
-Split-leaf philodendron and jade pothos riparium plants (this makes the tank look amazing)
-The anubias actually had slime algae covering it. I removed a good portion of it but not all of it. This was taken over by brown diatom but after a few weeks, all of the algae died and the plants reigned. They (the plants) are now thriving and growing fast.

I wanted to break this tank down for you so you could maybe get an idea for helping plants grow. What I have is a dirted tank with cheap full-spectrum LEDs, partial sunlight and lots of different plant types :)

IMG_20220813_084105.jpg

TClare

You know Hygrophila difformis water wisteria? Alledgedly the easiest plant to grow. The two times I've bought it it died. I don't have good luck with that plant...
Same here. My water is very soft maybe that is why. H. corymbosa failed for me as well.

devsi

This last grows well for me also, even in low light with just plain sand substrate. Never seen it go red though!
I'm so glad to know there are other Hygrophila polysperma appreciators out there!
I feel you. You know Hygrophila difformis water wisteria? Alledgedly the easiest plant to grow. The two times I've bought it it died. I don't have good luck with that plant...
Same here. My water is very soft maybe that is why. H. corymbosa failed for me as well.
Yep, same! I bought some and it just melted and died. So much for a hardy, easy to grow plant!!

I'm at 7.6 pH, so not exactly soft, and it will not grow for me either....
I seem to have great luck with my newest dirted tanks. My first was a flop (but of course producing my favorite Hygrophila polysperma.) All I had was partial sunlight and a little bit of random soil under lots of gravel. That was only, say, 4-5 years ago. Since then I've become more serious in fishkeeping and although I've had flops some of my tanks seem to be doing okay now.
Oh yeah, I have converted all but one of my tanks into dirtied/walstad tanks. I've used a different approach to yours, but most of my plants are growing well.... just not as well as the polysperma....
I wanted to break this tank down for you so you could maybe get an idea for helping plants grow. What I have is a dirted tank with cheap full-spectrum LEDs, partial sunlight and lots of different plant types :)

Most of the plants grow, just not as well haha.

Redshark1

Oh yeah it is a lovely plant!

I notice in your picture yours are all quite short - is that done on purpose to create a sort of carpet?

It grows up to the surface then I cut it at the base.

A photo is but a snapshot in time.

Attachments

• 16.10.28 Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.JPG
    16.10.28 Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 4

Random Great Thread!

New Plant Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom