Need help identifying this parasite

hywaydave

I have a 53 gallon tank with one pumpkinseed and one bluegill, both taken from the same pond at the same time, about 3 weeks ago. Tank is cycled and has been running for 6+ weeks using the fishless cycling process; my ammonia and nitrites have been 0ppm for 2+ weeks, while nitrates are generally 5ppm or less. No fish existed in this tank prior to these two.

The bluegill came home with a white worm-like parasite attached to it's pectoral fin, about a half inch long. I was going to try and get him out of the tank and remove it with tweezers, but put it off a few days and then it was gone. The pumpkinseed looked clean from the start. Fast forward 3 weeks today and now I'm seeing multiple white hair-like worms on both fish, mostly on fins but the pumpkinseed also has a couple attached to the body. I've been googling a lot and can't quite figure out what these are. They don't appear to be anchor worms because I don't see a Y shaped body, but maybe that's more microscopic. I can't tell if they're skin flukes either. I want to get these identified quickly so I can treat it with the appropriate medication. I appreciate the help, and would also appreciate recommendations for medication. I don't have any other fish, snails, or shrimp. Just a bunch of Anacharis and a few Anubia plants. Please see attached photos for reference.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Bluegill.jpg
    Bluegill.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Pumpkinseed.jpg
    Pumpkinseed.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 16

A201

I don't know which variety of parasite you are dealing with, but pretty sure Praziquantel, "Prazipro" will cure the problem.

Flyfisha

That could be anchor worms . Search a picture

I can’t see a good picture when researching the pictures on this site ( for 5 minutes)
I suggest you search anchor worms because admin is getting a bit funny about posting links to other sites, sorry.

hywaydave

All the anchor worm pictures I've seen had a Y shape tail at the end, these do not. Unless that Y shape is not easily visible to the naked eye. I did a 20% water change 5 days ago and dosed the tank with Prazipro without any carbon filters, no luck. I added a second dose last night. I'll try one more dose after a couple of days unless someone else has any recommendations. If not, I guess I'll purchase something that targets anchor worms next.

SchoolofFish

I just went through anchor worms. Dimilin X was recommended, and it worked beautifully. Hope this helps!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
D1234
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views