Need help identifying these "aquatic" plants. Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by theGrynch, Mar 19, 2010.

1. t

theGrynch New Member Member

Well, this is certainly a tough lesson to learn. I spent a fair bit of time researching what plants I wanted to have in my tank, and after seeing other people have success with a few different types, decided to try my hand at it. I went out to my local PetCO, bought a few plants in the nice, near little tube, brought them home and started getting them into the tank. Lo and behold, I realize I made a mistake and got a couple which were the wrong plant altogether, plants that were labeled as Java Ferns but were actually some sort of bog plant which should never be used in an aquarium. I went back out the next day, hoping to exchange or just return them. Well... Little did I know that it's apparently a huge deal to do a return or even an exchange on something that is CLEARLY mislabelled and could ruin someone's home aquarium. My mistake.

I did an exchange and got a couple of lovely looking plants that I figured would look nice with the variety of sword plants I'd already gotten. Get those home, find out they're also not an aquatic plant. It's gotten to the point now that I'm suspicious of every single plant I got there, and made up my mind never to shop there again after how rudely I was treated over their mistake.

If anyone could so gracious as to give me a hand IDing some of the plants, I'd greatly appreciate it. The ones I'm holding in the pictures were labeled "wisteria," which I know now is wrong. And the "anubias" I was sold, and attached to the large piece of driftwood, I'm now suspicious of, after seeing pictures of other people's anubias. Something about the leaves just doesn't look right. If anyone could help, I'd really be very, very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The one in your hand is indeed wisteria(Hygrophila difformis). Most aquatic plants raised for the aquarium trade is raised as emersed plants. In other words the roots are in water but the plant it's self grows out of the water. When they are raised like this the leaves look different. Those are wisterias emersed leaves. After you put it in your aquarium the plant will grow different looking leaves and may even loose these leaves, but that's ok. Here's a plant profile with pics of the emersed leaves as well as submerged leaves.  
    I can't tell enough about the other plants but maybe pics like the wisteria (up close) would make ID'ing easier.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    t

Oh, wow. It just looked so different from all the other speciments I'd seen on here so far! So, if it IS wisteria, then is it something I should leave floating? Plant in the substrate? Tie to driftwood? I'm still a little unsure of what to do with it. Thanks for the reply, BTW.

4. Butterfly

You can plant it in the substrate without a problem. If you looked at the link I sent you it shows the different leaf form.
    Can you post pics of the Anubias? Please
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    t

Here's a pic of the anubias, if that's what they are. I saw the pics of the anubias in the stickied thread about rhyzomes, and I didn't think they looked at all similar.

Attached Files:

6. Butterfly

Thanks for the pic :) Looks a bit like Anubias barteri. There are very many kinds of Anubias. I believe there were A. barteri and a. coffefolia in thet sticky. Here's a link to a bunch more.   I love Anubias and have 7 or 8 different kinds :)
    No I looked and all those are A. coffefolia :)
    Carol

7. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

You have Anubias barteri variety there for sure! Slow growing but rewarding plant. I love them.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

8. OP
    OP
    t

Thank you guys both very much! I'm hoping to change some of the substrate out for something more "plant friendly" soon. If the tank akes off from there, then I'm hoping to get into aquascaping... This stuff's just too addicting!

9. Butterfly

It is totally addicting :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice