Need Help Identifying Sickness

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TankLure, Mar 30, 2019.

1. TankLureNew MemberMember

E8AF3FA5-B545-472D-956B-B761FDF97237.jpeg Tank has been doing great. 75gal. Cycled for a long time. Bought 3 new Silverdollars. 1 died within 24 hours. Then 5 other fish suddenly died. Please look at attached pic to help me identify the sickness. A white cloudy area started at the bottom of the body and then spread all the way up. Eye looked weird too. Same symptoms now happening to the pictured fish. Doesn’t seem like ICH. Some of the ones that died didn’t look like this fish. In fact their were no visible symptoms on some. They just started behaving erratically. Thanks for the help!

PH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 30

2. Fishdad85Valued MemberMember

Is your nitrates 30ppm? If it is I'd do a water change. How long after did the 5 die? Did you add the bag water to your tank or fish them out and put them in your tank?

3. FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Hi, welcome to fishlore! I would say your nitrates are a bit on the higher side, and should be lowered. But it's not very likely that those are contributing to the illness. To me, it looks like some type of bacterial infection. Not sure from there what kind or how to treat though. It could be columnarus considering how it's spreading but, that's a bit of a guess.

4. Fishdad85Valued MemberMember

I was thinking possibly Rust but colummarus is a good candidate as well

5. BloodyNosesNew MemberMember

Defs a bacterial infection, i don't think your parameters were a problem. Always always spend the money time and effort to quarantine your fish, i'm sorry this happened. I'd add some aquarium salt to try to kill it in the water column and potentially stop the spread but you'd need to decide whether or not to medicate the tank. I'm always against medicating in your main tank since it stains everything, and even if you don't see color some of the medication stays on the glass and the substrate and can be an issue later down the line.

Melafix is the go to, but you could also try pima. Since you can't really do water changes as normal i'd suggest doing a big 50%+ waterchange before medicating.

6. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I'd try picking up Kanaplex (strong anti-bacterial) or maybe Polyguard (a general medication). These are seachem products that have proven to be quite effective and keep your biological filtration in mind.

7. TankLureNew MemberMember

Yes, nitrates are 30. I thought anything under 40 was good? I never add the water from the pet store (only what accidentally comes off the net when transferring). The other fish died within 24-36hrs. Thanks for the reply!

8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Sorry for your losses. what were your other inhabitants that died? Sounds like you got a bad school of fish right from the get go. and it spread to your other fish quickly. It's always a good idea when picking them out at the store to give them a good long look and watch their behavior for a good 10 minutes that way you may be able to spot any growths deformities or agressivness or anything else that doesn't seem right. then you can inform the store owner and if they care they will take action and not sell the fish and u can move on to a different specie or wait till a better looking stock of the kind you want comes in.

9. ThelasttankonearthNew MemberMember

I would perform a water change. Then add salt. 1 tablespoon for every 3 gallons of water. I would also consider using erythromycin. Just my two cents.

10. TankLureNew MemberMember

Thanks for the tip! It seemed the illness started with 3 new Silverdollars that I added to the 6 I already had. The first to die was the Silverdollar, followed by both of my Pictus Catfish, 2 neon tetras, 2 white-finned rosy tetras, and now 2 more Silverdollars. I’ve always had a healthy tank before. Nothing remotely close to this has ever happened. I’m currently treating with Seachem Polygaurd. Gave first dose last night...

11. Fishdad85Valued MemberMember

Make sure you add aquarium salt and not table salt,