Need help identifying large freshwater fish in my tank!

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by robotman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. robotmanNew MemberMember

I'm trying to convert my 165g tank to a planted tank and need to give away my fish to a good home. I know what all the fish are except one monster fish that I need help identifying.

I got him at Petco or Petsmart when he was only 1.5" long and it has grown to be 15" long in about a year and a half!

I had 3 of these fish at one time, but they didn't like being together and chased each other a lot. At one time, I knew what it was. Red-tipped (or finned) something... I think the websites said it didn't get bigger than 10".

Now he is a pig, but very friendly to the other fish (as long as they don't fit in his mouth).

Anyone know what this is?!

Thank you!

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    That looks like a cigar shark to me

3. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Cigar Shark :)

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above two posts.

5. robotmanNew MemberMember

Thank you!

The pics I found online definitely match what I have. Totally not what the store was calling them or what I had them identified before.

I see they can get up to 30" long which make more sense since he keeps growing! I hope I can find a good home for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice