Need help identifying fish

Spencershea

A family member gave me this tank but they don't know what some of the fish are and neither do I. I know what a few of the fish are but I need help identifying the others so I can make sure they're being taken care of properly. One of them looks like a swordtail but it's bigger than I thought swordtails were. I'm also including a picture of what I was told is a molly but I'm 90% sure is a platy.

Attachments

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Number 1 looks like a Male swordtail( notice it’s tail?) it may even be a swordtail mixed with platy?(maybe)
Number 2 looks like a female cherry barb(not too sure though)
And the last one looks like a male? platy

OP
Spencershea

Spencershea

86 ssinit said:
Looks like swordtails and SAE. Siamese algae eater.
The big one looks like a huge siamese algae eater after looking up pictures of them online. If it is in fact a siamese algae eater, should i rehome them? There are two and theyre both pretty big. In the tank, there are 2 cory catfish, a khuli loach, the swordtail, the platy, the possibly siamese algae eaters, an otocinclus and two harlequin rasboras

If it helps, the fish in the second picture is about as wide as a nickel or a dime maybe. Here's a more clear picture of the face.

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Pretty sure it's a SAE, either fat or bloated, the stripe being not really visible is either stress or a bad angle.

OP
Spencershea

Spencershea

MacZ said:
Pretty sure it's a SAE, either fat or bloated, the stripe being not really visible is either stress or a bad angle.
Maybe it's fat because the tank is absolutely covered in algae? I have no clue but from what I'm reading they aren't suited for the tank size I have.

MacZ

Well Known
Spencershea said:
Maybe it's fat because the tank is absolutely covered in algae? I have no clue but from what I'm reading they aren't suited for the tank size I have.
About the tank size you are correct, about the algae... probably. Maybe it isn't well because of the tank size.

Mii

Spencershea said:
The big one looks like a huge siamese algae eater after looking up pictures of them online. If it is in fact a siamese algae eater, should i rehome them? There are two and theyre both pretty big. In the tank, there are 2 cory catfish, a khuli loach, the swordtail, the platy, the possibly siamese algae eaters, an otocinclus and two harlequin rasboras
How big is the tank? Idk if you need to rehome ut or not as idk how big your tank is.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
The SAE look fine. But they should be in a 55g at least. Shame to have to get rid of them. They’re great fish maybe ask here if anyone wants them. If I was near you I’d take them :).

OP
Spencershea

Spencershea

Mii said:
How big is the tank? Idk if you need to rehome ut or not as idk how big your tank is.
It's a 20 gallon tall and I don't have a 55 gallon to move them to.

86 ssinit said:
The SAE look fine. But they should be in a 55g at least. Shame to have to get rid of them. They’re great fish maybe ask here if anyone wants them. If I was near you I’d take them :).
I can't post them here yet. Not enough posts. It is a shame to get rid of them because they're super cool, but I feel bad having two of them in such a small tank.

New Threads